someone explain Twitter please

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Sure do. Check out my screenshot on iRovr. Twitter has many safeguards to prevent spammer's from misusing the system. You only see "Tweets" from people you've specifically set up to follow. I use the system as a means of keeping up to date on iPhone/cell phone news.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I'm a Twitter fan too. I think Robert Scoble got it right about the best way to use Twitter (and a couple other similar services) - he says too many people get caught up with how many people are following them, and don't realize it is all about who you follow.

As in, the more smart people you follow (or the more who are good sources of info on topics that interest you) the more useful Twitter becomes.

It's also a great source of answers when you have a specific problem - often better / faster answers than Googling would yield ...

s8n666

Bronze
Oct 3, 2008
If you use facebook and regularly update your status, Twitter is kind of like a stand alone version of that function.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
No doubt others will disagree, but I MUCH prefer Twitter to Facebook. Twitter provides a continuous stream of information, filtered for me by who I think is smart and want to follow and / or by subject areas that interest me (as Larry mentioned).

It's been a while since I logged into Facebook, but when I used to, it continually hit me with 'funny' requests from friends to play movie trivia and similar that became annoying as heck. I think Facebook is maybe the more fun service IF you're into all of that, but Twitter is a better information tool by far ...

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
I'm a Twitter fan too. I think Robert Scoble got it right about the best way to use Twitter (and a couple other similar services) - he says too many people get caught up with how many people are following them, and don't realize it is all about who you follow.

As in, the more smart people you follow (or the more who are good sources of info on topics that interest you) the more useful Twitter becomes.

It's also a great source of answers when you have a specific problem - often better / faster answers than Googling would yield ...

Can you give us some examples? I still don't get the usefulness factor, especially when I look at their web site. No one gives a hoot if I am eating soup or reading a magazine... I don't use Facebook, so comparisons to that aren't terribly useful.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
^^^
Its the off topic section. It didn't necessarily refer to twitter on the iPhone, but twitter itself.

The off topic section is just fine for anything non iPhone specific.

I don't think you are a Mod, so I would leave those kind of decisions up to them.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Can you give us some examples? I still don't get the usefulness factor, especially when I look at their web site. No one gives a hoot if I am eating soup or reading a magazine... I don't use Facebook, so comparisons to that aren't terribly useful.
Sure. Examples:

-- iPhone is one of my main areas of interest (shocker eh), so I follow quite a few iPhone developers / companies, or iPhone sites that I like - and often see iPhone news via Twitter before anywhere else. Many devs will announce updates / betas etc. *first* on Twitter, before any press release, email etc. goes out

-- Following general smart people in the areas you like. For me, two of these are Robert Scoble ('A List' blogger, always way up on latest, breaking technologies etc) and Michael Arrington (runs the Techcrunch empire). These are just two quick examples, but I find that through them you often hear about a really exciting new bit of tech before most folks (in time to get a beta invite a lot of the time)

-- Software / PC problems, or product ratings quickly - rather than Googling trying to find out if a new Canon XYZ model is good / worth the cost, and wading through relevant and not so relevant pages, Twitter it - and more often than not, you'll quickly get back some first-hand experience, or links to good reviews

-- Tracking keywords (think this is currently broken / disabled, as they have some scaling issues, but if so, it'll be back hopefully) - set Twitter to 'follow' a keyword of interest (like iPhone for example), you can have Twitter work with your IM client and show you all tweets (Twitter updates) that contain that keyword

-- Breaking news - the earthquake in China was reported first on Twitter, well before CNN or any conventional news media had it. Same sort of thing with the Mumbai tragedy - many of those caught up in the horror were sending out updates while it was going on.

So ... I reckon it is useful for a lot more than just sending "I'm eating ribs" type messages :)

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
That's certainly more useful. Guess I'll have to try, eh?

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
i've set up an account but i've never really used it. Maybe I'll play around with twitter over the break...

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I joined Twitter a few months back. I follow some friends, some tech bloggers and people I've come across via those I follow. Some information is relevant, newsworthy and some of it just random garbage (my tweets included). Still, it's engaging and fun to use. I have Twitter clients for my iPhone and my Bold. I would classify them as "primary apps" for me.

I think Robert Scoble got it right about the best way to use Twitter (and a couple other similar services) - he says too many people get caught up with how many people are following them, and don't realize it is all about who you follow.
I followed him for a week, but he's just non-stop. I couldn't manage all his tweets. I don't know how people follow hundreds, if not thousands of people. Good write up today by Michael Arrington about Scoble.

S

Starry

I love Twitter.... :) I'm SpunkyLilDiva on there... :)

I think I follow EIC & Indy :)

It's kewl ;)