Something bigger than Jailbreak coming?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by JWiPhone, Jun 25, 2013.

1. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

iOS hacker p0sixninja, also known as Joshua Hill, has Tweeted saying that he has been working on something that he thinks will be "bigger than a jailbreak." According to the hacker, there are many great things about to come, and they’re all coming soon.

Something bigger than jailbreak?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Getting the SHSHs working or better yet eliminating the need for them altogether (presigned firmware or firmware we could sign ourselves) would be bigger than a 6.1.3/6.1.4 jailbreak if this method was predicted or ensured to still work on 6.1.5 and beyond.

3. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Toothpaste dispenser.

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Nothing is bigger (or more explosive) than this jailbreak I saw in Nevada last week:

image.jpg

5. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

Not sure what happened to the link. It was there when I posted it the first time. I corrected it.

6. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

He's jailbroken his toothbrush.

7. PinkBanana

PinkBanana Zealot
    Gold

Bah hahahahaha. He's had too much :coffee: - p0sixninja

8. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

If the rumors that I've been told end up being true, then we could see an early "failbreak," or at least something to give people root access to their device for early tinkering (referring to iOS 7).

9. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

Something similar to rooting on an Android? Totally new ROM copied from IOS? Or is that essentially what a JB is?

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Root access = jailbreaking. Custom Android ROMs allow you to remove Android overlays and bloatware. They also add features, but we can get all of the features that are available for iOS by jailbreaking, so we've never needed custom ROMs...unless you wanted to install alternate operating systems such as Linux. I don't think there is much of a demand for that, though. The majority of people who buy an iPhone want to run iOS.

11. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

@notcom (the person that brings us TinyUmbrella) responded to this tweet "what could be bigger than jailbreak? Bootrom exploit?"

If this is the case, wouldn't it mean that existing hardware would be vulnerable to a jailbreak, no matter the iOS version?

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Who wants to stay on old hardware forever? Screw that. I'm done with the 5 in October. I'd rather see self-signing firmware beyond 6.1.3.

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Wow. You sure are stubborn.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Touché. :)

15. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Good point, but the question still remains. I don't remember when the last Bootrom exploit was, but I think it was while the hardware was fairly new. It's well known some will always be on the leading edge, but for others this could be a temporary boon.

16. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Tenacious is the word that surfaced in my mind. ;)

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

2009 IIRC. I just think it would be far from bigger than a jailbreak with new hardware right around the corner. I'm thinking bigger. ;)

18. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I like this comment. It would be awesome if it were such a thing.

Originally Posted by thazsar viewpost-right.png
    People are tweeting 'bootrom exploit' but I have a feeling this is deeper than that...

I'm wondering if he's discovered an unpatchable exploit that's found in all firmwares and is required by Apple when they create their ipsw file. Apple would have to completely rewrite how they create firmwares which would be counterproductive considering all the iDevices already sold. Lastly, Apple might not even be able to locate the exploit!

19. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

20. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I love all the assumptions :)

Mr Ninja loves the attention remember and likes to add a little drama. He's one talented guy but I'd take his statement with a pinch of salt.

Self-signing firmware would be a awesome, but I'm kind of thinking that would be a illegal? A bootrom exploit, perhaps but which device will it be specific too etc?

I can't see it being something un-patchable because Apple will simply find a way to patch it - where there's a will there's a way! And after all if it's not a bootrom exploit, it's just software which can be changed.

I'd like to see another userland exploit, I think there is nothing better than a jailbreak which can be done straight from the device. I wish I had these guys skills :)