Something to think about.

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
I was thinking, and I think a realistic upgrade to the 3G iPhone for me will be when I need a battery replacement for the first version. You're looking at $85 to get the battery replaced (unless that's changed) and only $200 for a brand new phone. After 400 or so charges, you'll be at 80% battery capacity and at that point, I'll probably get the new phone. I was thinking it's been almost a year and I charge on average 2-3 times a week, so that's around 150 charges so far maybe a little less.

Laura123

Jul 17, 2007
I was thinking, and I think a realistic upgrade to the 3G iPhone for me will be when I need a battery replacement for the first version. You're looking at $85 to get the battery replaced (unless that's changed) and only $200 for a brand new phone. After 400 or so charges, you'll be at 80% battery capacity and at that point, I'll probably get the new phone. I was thinking it's been almost a year and I charge on average 2-3 times a week, so that's around 150 charges so far maybe a little less.
i think ipodjuice.com does iPhone battery replacements, too. so you don't have just Apple as an option. i really hope the 2nd gen iPhone has better battery life and an easier way to get the back cover off when the time comes to replace THAT battery.

May 6, 2007
United States
Great idea, I haven't thought about this. I don't know how many times I have charged, but it's at least 3-4 times a week, and its been about 49 weeks, so I figure its been about 150, as you said.

I am content with mine, but I will see what happens.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I plan on keeping mine working in the family, so AppleCare will solve any future battery problems if they occur before 6/29/09.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Great idea, I haven't thought about this. I don't know how many times I have charged, but it's at least 3-4 times a week, and its been about 49 weeks, so I figure its been about 150, as you said.

I am content with mine, but I will see what happens.
it's not how many times you charge, it's the number of "full charge cycles". If you let your iPhone drain completely before charging, then you are going through full charge cycles, but if you're the kind of person (like me) that charges their iPhone whenever they're sitting at your desk, then you may charge your iPhone 4 or 5 times, but only go through the equivalent of one charge cycle.

Anyway, if you reckon you've only done 150 in a year, that'll put you well past your ATT contract and Apple's extended warranty before your battery starts sucking.