Something weird in 1.1.2

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

aissa10

Nov 16, 2007
me and my brother just got a new iPhone for some reason my brothers wifi always connects, and mine does not, when i click the on button on the wifi settings the circle just keeps spinning and if i do get a wifi address such as linksys it says cannot connect to linkysys, furious w. this problem i compared my brothers phone and mine, i noticed a few different things, his software is 1.1.1 and on the top right next to the battery logo is another symbol it looks like a phone and some dots underneath it. i am wondering that my wifi problem is due to the new software update, is this true?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
i noticed a few different things, his software is 1.1.1 and on the top right next to the battery logo is another symbol it looks like a phone and some dots underneath it. i am wondering that my wifi problem is due to the new software update, is this true?
That symbol indicates he has TTY (device support for those hard of hearing) turned on. Shouldn't be related to wifi at all.

We've heard a couple wifi complaints from people upgrading to 1.1.2, but it's anything but consistent. For example, I upped to 1.1.2 before it was available on iTunes and I'm getting the fastest Wifi I've ever gotten. It's measurably faster on mine... [shrug]

aissa10

Nov 16, 2007
the thing that pissed me off is that I have a full wifi signal and all bars. But when I open safari it says cannot connect to the server

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
the thing that pissed me off is that I have a full wifi signal and all bars. But when I open safari it says cannot connect to the server
You might have to go into your router settings and click on connect to dhcp, i had the same problem as u and i called linksys tech help and we just changed the settings and that fixed it

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Also, on the iPhone... try in the wifi settings to "forget" your network, turn off Wifi, then turn it on again and rejoin. That's worked to fix wifi weirdness for me.

aissa10

Nov 16, 2007
Another weird thing about my wifi is that on rare occasions that I do get a wifi signal there is a checkmark next to the address but on the top left there is still a blue edge symbol

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
in my experience, that wifi indicator is pretty innaccurate. but if your brother's is working fine right next to yours in the same room then yeah, I'd say you have a bum wifi antenna and should take it back for exchange...

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
my wifi is acting up too, it works for installer... like it downloaded 6.6 BSD subsystem when i upgraded and unlocked to 1.1.2 in like 10 seconds then it will completely stop working.. other computers have no problem accessing it.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
my iPhone's dhcp client is not quite right - doesn't always get name server info correctly from some access points. I did think about watching with ethereal to see what's going wrong, but it was easier to specify dns manually.

Only one dns Mr. Jobs?

DHCP is the Devil's Protocol. (T shirts are available)

aissa10

Nov 16, 2007
Nope i connected to dhcp and still no luckk it seems that my wifi just doesn't work even when ihave all three bars the safari page just doesn't load, sigh

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Nope i connected to dhcp and still no luckk it seems that my wifi just doesn't work even when ihave all three bars the safari page just doesn't load, sigh
This happens to me occasionally and I have to do a reboot (hold the sleep button until the red bar appears, etc..) then it will work for about a week before I get the page cannot be reached error again. This has happened on both 1.1.1 and 1.1.2. Not sure if that will work for you but worth trying.

aissa10

Nov 16, 2007
ok by this time ive done about every possible thing and still no luck, i think my iPhone is screwed up, ill go to Apple to see if i have any luck there