Something weird just happen

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
I was charging my iPhone while browsing and the 20% battery low indicator came on.

timothy

Bronze
Nov 4, 2007
Thousand Oaks, Californication
3g phones use more power than 1st gen. You are using more power while "playing around" on your phone than the charging can make up for. Sucks huh? Hope they can fix THAT with a patch!

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
make sure your plug is fully secure at both ends. The phone charges full from empty in less than two hours. Surfing takes over five hours to fully drain the phone....

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
make sure your plug is fully secure at both ends. The phone charges full from empty in less than two hours. Surfing takes over five hours to fully drain the phone....
try it. It drains faster than it charges, depending on what you're doing.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
name it. Wall, USB, and car charger. I had to quit using the phone to get it to charge normally. On more than one occasion.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
try it. It drains faster than it charges, depending on what you're doing.
I have. I talk with BT, and surf at the same time as charging. Never drains. Just charges. you may want Apple to look at yours because it seems to be an exception.

joeg679

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
The battery life sucks, I have boss prefs too. I had 76% before I went to the gym, I texted 2 people, checked my email manually twice and listened to uSirius for about 40 minutes and had 30% left when I left the gym. If Apple wants to really get the businesss community to buy the iPhone they have to increase battery life. I had a treo before my first iPhone and I could use it all day and it would still have 50% left 3 days later. They should make an iPhone Pro for businesss users, maybe make it thicker and but a half decent battery on it. I would buy that in a second.

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
I came from a BB and I have to say the battery life isn't as good as it was on the BB, but some of the features of the iPhone make up for it.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
PEOPLE: Let's compare Apples (pardon the pun) to Apples. Of course it's going to get less battery life than a Blackberry. If you are talking about a Blackberry on a GSM carrier there is not yet a 3g Blackberry available. The Bold will be 3g however and we can make a comparison then. As far as Treo's go, I had a 755p on Sprint with EVDO and the battery was about on par with the iPhones. But it didn't have near the screen and didn't get *near* the use as the iPhone. With the amount of functions the iPhone has (iPod, Safari, mail, etc.) the iPhone is going to get more use than most of these phones. When I had a Treo or a Blackberry I used a standalone media player. With the iPhone I have no need to carry my media player or laptop most of the time.

I also have a Tilt and Nokia N95 8GB, both of which are 3g. Guess which one wins out on battery life? The very one that everyone is pissing and moaning about. Maybe it is because some of you are coming from flip phones and feature phones and aren't used to 3g smartphones. You have to make concessions that you don't normally make on non 3g phones. Like Tex mentioned, turn the brightness down. Only use push if necessary. Change the fetch settings to check your email every 30 min or every hour. The battery issues are greatly exaggerated.

For a phone this thin, the iPhone actually gets decent battery life. Try using the Motorola Q and then see if you complain about the iPhone. Also, none of the phones are powering a screen near what the iPhone has.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I've been using my phone to tether the 3G connection pretty much non-stop since Sunday (until today when the cable is finally connected, ugh) and I have noticed that the battery drains MUCH faster than it charges while tethering. I had the phone fully charged before starting a tether yesterday and within a little while the phone was at 20% charge.

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
PEOPLE: Let's compare Apples (pardon the pun) to Apples. Of course it's going to get less battery life than a Blackberry. If you are talking about a Blackberry on a GSM carrier there is not yet a 3g Blackberry available. The Bold will be 3g however and we can make a comparison then. As far as Treo's go, I had a 755p on Sprint with EVDO and the battery was about on par with the iPhones. But it didn't have near the screen and didn't get *near* the use as the iPhone. With the amount of functions the iPhone has (iPod, Safari, mail, etc.) the iPhone is going to get more use than most of these phones. When I had a Treo or a Blackberry I used a standalone media player. With the iPhone I have no need to carry my media player or laptop most of the time.

I also have a Tilt and Nokia N95 8GB, both of which are 3g. Guess which one wins out on battery life? The very one that everyone is pissing and moaning about. Maybe it is because some of you are coming from flip phones and feature phones and aren't used to 3g smartphones. You have to make concessions that you don't normally make on non 3g phones. Like Tex mentioned, turn the brightness down. Only use push if necessary. Change the fetch settings to check your email every 30 min or every hour. The battery issues are greatly exaggerated.

For a phone this thin, the iPhone actually gets decent battery life. Try using the Motorola Q and then see if you complain about the iPhone. Also, none of the phones are powering a screen near what the iPhone has.
I agree 100%, battery life on the blackjack II was way worse than the iPhone. I wish all the iPhone complainers would try using a windows mobile phone for a while, I bet they'd appreciate the iPhone a lot more.....

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
ok. back on topic. This is an iPhone vs. whatever thread.

Phil - this is what I'm talking about. I ask someone to turn on GPS and tracking, and drive around, while charging. I guarantee you'll lose more than you gain. I've done this on 2 3G's (mine and my wife). On 16 white, and one 8 black. The tests have resulted the same, every single time.

It depends on what you're doing, and how far down your charge is. I find that once I hit under 20%, my battery drains REALLY fast, even if I'm charging. If I turn off my phone (screen off - standby mode) and let it charge up to say 25%, then it still drains while charging, but not as fast.

Again, the reason I'm sure is, on my phone, I have it set to show me my percentage, not a battery symbol.

And just more evidence. I work now with 7 people who have iPhones. ALL have told me the same thing. The phone burns more power than it can charge (depending on what you're doing), and they've all just had to let the phone sit in order to let it charge.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Hmmm Rams, I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it:

http://www.iPhoneatlas.com/2008/08/18/erratic-battery-meter-behavior-on-iphone-3g/

I noticed our V1 phones got kinda confused this weekend charging from my car charger. It charged quite slowly when the car was off and quickly with it on, but the battery meter was all over the map in either situation. I think the variable amperage off the car battery confuses the battery meter in the iPhone somehow. I'm sure using it heavily while charging (which I haven't really done with mine yet) would confuse it even more.

Perhaps your battery isn't really dropping at all? Just a thought...

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
I browse AND listen to music (will drain battery fast for sure) while charging and while it does charge slower, it still gives my phone enough power that it more than makes up for the power my phone is using. (just not much more)

woo hoo 900 posts! only 100 more :laugh2:

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
My ride home.

I talked on the phone via BT and let the GPS track me all the way home. This took 30 minutes and drained me 22%. That was not charging. I will try again charging tomorrow.

Proof:

JoeT provided an EXCELLENT write up about the phone and what draws power. If you read the limitiations section, you'll find many things that drain the battery faster than it can charge.

So if me using my percentages and other people's story, and my mutiple phone testing isn't enough, read that link. It'll provide actual numbers that back up what I and the OP have stated.

I'm a numbers guy, so I love having the information as JoeT presented it. Kudos to him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I say this b/c you're not new. :laugh2:

READ. Fool, Dave posted this 3 posts up!

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
It's not a bug. Read my other posts. If you're gonna comment, at least read the thread...