Something worth trying with AT&T

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Correct me if I am wrong here, as I didn't buy an iPhone and activate it with AT&T via the proper channels.

From what I heard, because the iPhone is not subsidized, you can pretty much buy one whenever you want, doesn't matter how far along you are in your contract and activate a new 2 year contract. Is this right?

If you're not in contract (or can upgrade), why not try this. Get a new phone from AT&T which is free, or very cheap. Of course you will be placed back onto a new 2 year contract. Then a few weeks down the road, buy a brand new iPhone and activate that with AT&T. They will reset your contract back to 2 years.

You now have a free (or cheap) phone that you can sell on, or keep as a spare. And you have your new iPhone.

Anyone ever tried this?

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
No reason to wait, just buy an iPhone right after you active the cheap (or free) phone.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
If the new iPhone is subsidized, then I wonder if they will drop the "Buy anytime" option? Or they will offer two price structures. One price for upgrades and one price as buy anytime.

And will they still allow corporate discounts?

No reason to wait, just buy an iPhone right after you active the cheap (or free) phone.

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
That definitely works. My wife and I switched from Sprint to AT&T and picked up 2 Razr V3xx's. Two days later I ported a number from the V3xx to an iPhone via iTunes and all is good. No problems at all and I did that in October.

You are right when you say that your 2 year clock resets because of the iPhone.

Now what I want to know is will I be able to hactivate my new iPhone 2 and swap SIMs from the old iPhone to the new one without resetting my contract AND retain the full 1 year warranty?

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
That is what I did with my iPhone. I hactivated it and just stuck my AT&T SIM into it. I already had the $19.99 Unlimited MediaNet plan, so I could just surf the net and not rack up huge charges. I wanted to keep my 24% corporate discount and managed to keep it using this method. If you need to return the phone to Apple, just restore it and all traces of any unlocks are all gone.

I'm sure it will be the same on the new iPhone, despite Apple telling people that it can never be hacked.

That definitely works. My wife and I switched from Sprint to AT&T and picked up 2 Razr V3xx's. Two days later I ported a number from the V3xx to an iPhone via iTunes and all is good. No problems at all and I did that in October.

You are right when you say that your 2 year clock resets because of the iPhone.

Now what I want to know is will I be able to hactivate my new iPhone 2 and swap SIMs from the old iPhone to the new one without resetting my contract AND retain the full 1 year warranty?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I remember a few people did this or thought about it at least around the release of the iPhone. I was due for an upgrade discount but didn't really have a need for another spare phone.

H

Hayesimus

hmmm. look for my latest thread. the one i'm about to start. this got me thinking... i'll put it in AT&T section...

latinnftl

Bronze
Mar 19, 2007
hmmm. look for my latest thread. the one i'm about to start. this got me thinking... i'll put it in AT&T section...

I would be very cautious with this. When I bought my iPhone on iDay at the ATT store they specifically gave people who had contracts iwth ATT a hard time and they basically had to wait until a certain number of newbies signed contracts.

H

Hayesimus

I would be very cautious with this. When I bought my iPhone on iDay at the ATT store they specifically gave people who had contracts iwth ATT a hard time and they basically had to wait until a certain number of newbies signed contracts.

nope no such issues at the AT&T store I bought mine from on iDay. They just said,"Do you have a computer? Yes? Okay, here's your iPhone." bam, out the door. There is nothing to be cautious about. Its the way it works. No way around it.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
Correct me if I am wrong here, as I didn't buy an iPhone and activate it with AT&T via the proper channels.

From what I heard, because the iPhone is not subsidized, you can pretty much buy one whenever you want, doesn't matter how far along you are in your contract and activate a new 2 year contract. Is this right?

If you're not in contract (or can upgrade), why not try this. Get a new phone from AT&T which is free, or very cheap. Of course you will be placed back onto a new 2 year contract. Then a few weeks down the road, buy a brand new iPhone and activate that with AT&T. They will reset your contract back to 2 years.

You now have a free (or cheap) phone that you can sell on, or keep as a spare. And you have your new iPhone.

Anyone ever tried this?
This idea has been bantered around this and other forums for quote some time now. Not to be a prick, but a search would have shown you that.

Joe