Sometimes losing Notes when syncing iPhone with MS Outlook

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by iPutz, Sep 2, 2014.

1. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I sync my iPhone 5 and iPad 3 almost every day with Microsoft Outlook on a PC. 99% of the time everything works perfectly. But about 1sync out of 100 ends up wiping out all but 3 or 4 of the notes in both Outlook and on either the phone the iPad or both. Both iDevices have the latest iOS version (7.1.2) and the PC is running Windows 7 and MS Office 2007. Fortunately, I make a daily B/U of my outlook.pst file and can recover almost all of what was lost but doing so is a lot of unecessary work. I have been syncing my iPhones for several years now, since I had my 3GS, without any problem at all until the beginning of this year when this issue with notes started. Has anyone else had this issue and found a solution for it?

#1 iPutz, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  2. Mathew Connelly

Bronze

I've never heard or had the issue but I suspect it has something to do with the place where notes were last modified/created/removed. Correct me if I am wrong but if you delete a number of notes from Outlook and then you created some new notes on the iPhone during sync - iTunes would delete the Outlook-deleted notes from your iPhone and add the iPhone-created to Outlook - right? I suspect that iTunes sync does not always operate in this way.

3. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I am usually able to delete some notes in Outlook and add others during the same session. Without syncing first, I can then do something similar in the phone but to delete and add notes that are different than what was done in Outlook. I am also able to change wording in a note in the phone and change wording in the same note but in a different area in Outlook and when I sync it just all works. All the changes are reflected in both devices. But, once in a while, following a sync session, I am left with only 4 notes in both the phone and Outlook. The other 20+ notes are just gone. This has happened with the two iPhones (a 5 and a 6) I've owned in the last year or so and on two different computers when I replaced an older machine with a newer one. I'm guessing this is a rather unique problem as yours is the first response I've received since my original post in September of 2014.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I have a Mac and haven't ever used MS Outlook. My notes sync over the air through iCloud and I can access and edit them in the the Notes app that's stock on Macs. I know this app isn't on PCs, but since you're having problems with notes disappearing when you sync with MS Outlook, why not just toggle that off and stick with iCloud syncing exclusively? You can access and edit them on iCloud.com.

5. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I've thought about doing that but haven't researched it much since Outlook usually works so well. Is it possible to sync Notes only to iCloud? I know I can turn off notes syncing to Outlook in iTunes. Also can Outlook sync to notes in iCloud?

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, that's how I do it. Notes are toggled off in every account except iCloud. I think it's the most reliable way to sync them.

7. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Maybe I'll try it. I'm a little apprehensive about putting info up on the cloud but notes doesn't have anything I would be worried about.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Just switch to two-step verification if you aren't already using it. It's very secure.

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Once notes are toggled off, they should be visible in the Outlook mail notes folder.