Song has gone to the iCloud, and now I can't get it back

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by Rafagon, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I had a song in my iTunes library, which if memory serves me correct, I got for free. It says "Single of the Week" and I do believe those are always free. Here is the entry for the song in my iTunes library:

iTunes song view.jpeg

As you can see, it has migrated back to iCloud (and I still don't know how to control when songs automatically leave your hard drive and go move back to the cloud--if anyone knows how to set that to "Never", please let me know.)

I right-clicked on the song, then I selected "Show in iTunes Store". Much to my dismay, iTunes now wants to charge me $0.99 to get it back. Why should I have to pay to get it again simply because iTunes arbitrarily decided to throw it to iCloud? It even says under price that the song is "Purchased"! (See below.)

show_in_iTunes.jpeg

Am I simply missing something here? Incidentally, that drop-down box immediately to the right of "0.99 Buy" does not have an option to re-download it.

2. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Songs are automatically uploaded to iCloud, but they are never removed from your computer. If you want to download it again, click on the cloud icon with the little down arrow to the left of the track time.

If you didn't delete the song, it may still be on your computer. Try right clicking on the song and "show in finder/explorer". That will tell you if it's still on your computer or not.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Thank you, @acosmichippo ... There was something else going on (which I go on to explain in the last paragraph, after my rant), but it is solved now.

It's a shame that songs are automatically uploaded to iCloud and removed from local storage. What if I'm having an emergency and need to listen to Jack Johnson and my internet connection is down?

I could understand if there was an event that triggered the removal of songs from your local storage, like running out of space on the hard drive where your songs are stored, or if iTunes detects a zombie outbreak in your area and your computer is in danger of getting toppled over while you're involved an altercation with a zombie that's forced its way into your home. But even then, once you purchase an item, you can download it again whenever you want (as long as you don't exceed your five authorized computers), so this arbitrary moving of my music to iCloud just... Chaps My Hide.

Here is why I couldn't re-download this song I had previously "purchased" (even though it was free): In the iTunes Sidebar, each cloud icon by Music, Movies, and TV Shows had animated diagonal lines going through it. I was researching that issue online and found this thread, where it was suggested that the animated lines meant that "iTunes hasn't properly connected to the server." I restarted iTunes, the animated diagonal lines went away, and my ability to re-download that song came back.

4. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

But they're not removed locally (unless the free weekly songs work differently somehow).

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've never had a song delete itself.

Is it possible that you accidentally deleted it yourself?

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I think you're right. But I think what actually happens is worse (UPDATE: it may not be). Look at this screenshot I just took.

RemovedLocally.jpeg

I have the Australia album by Howie Day in my library. All its songs were back in the cloud (they each had an iCloud icon with a down arrow through it).

I re-downloaded (from the cloud) the first track, "Sorry So Sorry". Then I right-clicked on it and selected "Show in Finder". You can see that all the song files there, but the one I just re-downloaded has created a duplicate file with a " 1" appended to the filename.

When I right-click on a song with the iCloud icon with the down arrow through it, it says "Show in iTunes", but does not give the option to "Show in Finder"--itunes apparently "thinks" the song is not available locally.

This mean every time the song goes back to the cloud and I re-download it, I'm creating an additional, unnecessary physical copy on my hard drive! (UPDATE: Apparently this statement is incorrect.)

UPDATE: I can think of one reason. The hard drive on my iMac was replaced a few months ago. I started with a clean iTunes install (as in a clean music library .XML file) on the new hard drive. But... I normally keep all my music on an external drive. So, the song stayed there on my external drive, but I'm adding all my music back to iTunes gradually, as time allows. This would explain why iTunes thought the actual file was missing. I'll go ahead and post this entire message even though the issue appears resolved, just so that if someone runs into the same issue, they can learn from my experience.

#6 Rafagon, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

@Europa It's complicated...

I think I may know why the song was "missing." It wasn't really "missing." It was there all along, but iTunes was not giving me the option to "Show in Finder" because it had no idea it was there locally... The last paragraph of my previous post explains what appears to be the sequence of events that led to my situation.

Now I'll just get rid of the duplicate files...

Now they\'re duplicate.jpeg

8. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Right. Any song with that icon is not stored locally on your computer (or at least iTunes doesn't know about it), so it's giving you the option to re-download.

9. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

It sounds like what you need to do is wipe your iTunes library to start fresh again, and then re-import the folder with all of your music (File->add to library). This is what tells iTunes what you have locally on your computer and where to find it.

10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

For the majority of people, this is exactly what they would do. I also tried to do it that way and ran into a less-than-ideal situation. Therefore, I have to do it--rather painstakingly--album by album. If I don't do it this way, then iTunes, true to its multitasking nature, starts importing a bunch of different songs from different albums simultaneously. Then, when you sort your song view by "Date Added", your albums get split up into a million pieces. Well, not a million, but you know what I mean.

This messy result of your albums getting split may not happen when re-adding songs one has purchased from iTunes, but I have a lot of music ripped from my own CDs. Here is what it looks like when you don't add your music album by album:

What a mess.jpeg

Yes, I fully realize I can simply avoid this outcome simply by not sorting by "Date Added", but sometimes I do like to have my most recently-added songs at top. There are several reasons for this. To name just one, my most recently-added songs are sometimes the ones I may be more interested in hearing at any given moment.

I'm aware of the "Recently Added" Smart Playlist that iTunes generously creates for you, and I know I can modify the rules of the Smart Playlist to my heart's content so that I can theoretically have my entire library fall into the "Recently Added" playlist. However, the messy sorting would still occur if I were to re-import the folder containing all my music as opposed to importing the songs album by album.