Songs for ringtones?

Remain Nameless

Bronze
May 14, 2007
Hey!
I was just curious, since there is an iPod as part of the upcoming iPhone, I thought it would be cool to be able to select a song from your iPod for a ringtone (or, to take the idea further, different songs for different friends/contacts)... Do you think this will be possible on the iPhone?

I heard some rumblings that Apple will start selling ringtones to coincide with the iPhone, so I hope they don't just relay on designated "ringtones" for the ringtones on the iPhone, but also will allow songs from the iPod as ringtones... I'm crossing my fingers.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
afaik we will be able to buy songs from iTunes. It is shown durning the keynote. not officially though someone took a picture of it.

BoxKrait

Bronze
May 16, 2007
afaik we will be able to buy songs from iTunes. It is shown durning the keynote. not officially though someone took a picture of it.
Songs? or Ringtones?

Because if I have to buy special Ringtones. I'm not getting an iPhone.
That is the most retarded thing ever.

JHMirage

May 12, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Songs? or Ringtones?

Because if I have to buy special Ringtones. I'm not getting an iPhone.
That is the most retarded thing ever.

Well, all we know for sure is that iTunes will allow you to manage your Ringtones... we don't know for sure that we'll have to BUY them from Apple... you might be able to get them free or convert regular song snippets to ringtones... though many people are still speculating that there will be ones for sale.

The only evidence is here:
http://www.yugatech.com/ringtones/whats-hot-whats-not/apple-to-sell-iphone-ringtones-through-itunes/

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Buying ringtones and using iTunes to manage them seems overly complicated. We already have any sound or song we want on our iPhone, so we just choose one for a ring tone. Seems simple enough to me.

Bootlessjam

Bronze
Apr 15, 2007
Simply choosing a song to be a ringtone doesn't usually doesn't work since it's the chorus that you want to have.

My personal belief is that ringtones will act the same way as TV shows do in iTunes now;

When you drag a video into iTunes it puts it into the movies section, but you can right click it and "get info" and change it to a music video or TV show. It's then put into the TV shows section and the iPod has it's own tab for TV shows, just like the tab for ringtones was seen in the picture.

If this is true then you can buy ringtones from the iTunes store and also just add files yourself.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Simply choosing a song to be a ringtone doesn't usually doesn't work since it's the chorus that you want to have.
So if I'm choosing any sound or song as a ring tone, why can't I choose where in the song it starts? Still seems like a simple solution to me. :)

iPhoneObsessed

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS
www.myspace.com
So if I'm choosing any sound or song as a ring tone, why can't I choose where in the song it starts? Still seems like a simple solution to me. :)
There's programs you can download for free that let you convert mp3 to a wave file, edit and cut and rearrange it, and then convert it back to mp3, so that you can have any part of the song as a ringtone. I use it all the time for my current phone. :)

iPhoneObsessed

Bronze
May 9, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS
www.myspace.com
My ringtone will be "Big Pimpin" by Jay-Z.:cool:

LOL.

My roommates must think I'm crazy by now. I get on this site and the whole apartment is quiet, then I read something funny like this and laugh really loud, then it's back to quiet. haha.

Very funny though. Maybe someone will come out with a voice tone that says, "Look, I have an iPhone! Yes, the real thing! Come look and be jealous! It's got Cover Flow!" lol. :)

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Mine will be a pre recorded jingle " don't steal , don't steal, don't steal my iPhone please," ala "don't stand so close to me"

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
LOL Those are both good ones! We might want to add a security tether to our list of iPhone accessories so folks don't steal them from us while in the middle of a call. :laugh2:

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
LOL Those are both good ones! We might want to add a security tether to our list of iPhone accessories so folks don't steal them from us while in the middle of a call. :laugh2:
Im going with the hand cuff to the wrist method myself

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Im going with the hand cuff to the wrist method myself
I know you're joking but sadly this is probably very true. There have been more than one occasion where kids have been shot while someone was trying to steal their iPod. With the cost and popularity of the iPhone, this is a very real possibility.