Sony XPLOD MEXBT2700 + iPhone 3GS A2DP = Greatness!

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
So I just got back from Best Buy having my new Head Unit installed. I picked up the Sony MEXBT2700 for $150 bucks. After just 1 hour of playing around with it I must say Im happy I made the purchase.

Once you pair your 3G or 3Gs, everything your iPhone plays will play through your car speakers including games, apps, iPod music and videos not to mention calls. Although the call volume was weak, the person I spoke to said they heard me fine through the built in mic on the head unit. I had the radio cranked and I had to turn off my AC to hear them better. There may be a tweak for this though, not sure yet.

However, streaming music and apps was flawless and sounded amazing. 100 times better than my previous solution (Belkin FM transmitter). I mean no static and more than enough power through the entire range, from low to high. I tested music, movies, TV Shows and some apps, including MLB, Pandora, AOL Radio, Wunder Radio and all my games. Its to cool to sit in your car playing Tiger Woods with what felt like full surround sound.

All the controls are right on the phone which I prefer. I have a nice ProClips mount that swivels so the CD deck was enough for me. Anyway, just thought I would let ya'll know.

Head unit
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9202542&type=product&id=1218057726915

ProClipsusa.com

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I was just talking to people on IRC about head units and amps. Dang this one is kinda over my budget though. My FM transmitter is getting worse (probably because everyone has one now) and I can't take calls at all because the speaker phone is so quiet.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
That is awesome. I have a Sony head unit right now and, if I wasn't getting a new car in a year or two, would probably get that one. Thanks for the info!

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I was just talking to people on IRC about head units and amps. Dang this one is kinda over my budget though. My FM transmitter is getting worse (probably because everyone has one now) and I can't take calls at all because the speaker phone is so quiet.

Yep, my reasons for making the purchase. My FM transmitter was good for a bit, but now its plain useless. I drive about 50 miles a day give or take, 40 of those miles is static no matter what channel Im on. 10 sound really good though!

Ive played with this a little more tonight and Im digging it. I left the vehicle earlier, got back in, turned on the iPhone and it was already linked up. Pressed play and Im rocking.

I do think I got taken with the cost of the install though. The harness they said I needed was $120! I have a 2007 Jeep GC, I didn't think it was that rare that the harness would be over 100 bucks.

Either way, this Sony is great.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
That is awesome. I have a Sony head unit right now and, if I wasn't getting a new car in a year or two, would probably get that one. Thanks for the info!
Get it and keep your factory head unit, then before you go to get your new car swap em back out. Then you're golden.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
I could to that, but if I'm going to get a new car, I'm going to buy a new head unit at the same time - not want to put my old one in. Plus I already have the headphone cable. Now I can FINALLY remove that stupid adapter I was using for my v1!

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I could to that, but if I'm going to get a new car, I'm going to buy a new head unit at the same time - not want to put my old one in. Plus I already have the headphone cable. Now I can FINALLY remove that stupid adapter I was using for my v1!

How true, and by then there will probably be a better system that integrates with the iPhone like it should.

cheerio

Jun 17, 2009
So I just got back from Best Buy having my new Head Unit installed. I picked up the Sony MEXBT2700 for $150 bucks. After just 1 hour of playing around with it I must say Im happy I made the purchase.

Once you pair your 3G or 3Gs, everything your iPhone plays will play through your car speakers including games, apps, iPod music and videos not to mention calls. Although the call volume was weak, the person I spoke to said they heard me fine through the built in mic on the head unit. I had the radio cranked and I had to turn off my AC to hear them better. There may be a tweak for this though, not sure yet.

However, streaming music and apps was flawless and sounded amazing. 100 times better than my previous solution (Belkin FM transmitter). I mean no static and more than enough power through the entire range, from low to high. I tested music, movies, TV Shows and some apps, including MLB, Pandora, AOL Radio, Wunder Radio and all my games. Its to cool to sit in your car playing Tiger Woods with what felt like full surround sound.

All the controls are right on the phone which I prefer. I have a nice ProClips mount that swivels so the CD deck was enough for me. Anyway, just thought I would let ya'll know.

Head unit
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9202542&type=product&id=1218057726915

ProClipsusa.com

Thats awesome, might need to upgrade

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
So far Im happy with the unit but could be better. It doesn't push as much wattage as my stock so its a little distorted at higher volumes. Also, the BT Phone is very weak. Now Im thinking about putting a small amp in.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii

Head unit

ProClipsusa.com
Does yours have a USB port on the face? I want that in addition to Bluetooth support. Haven't found anything great at Best Buy. And they told me that installation would be about $120! Is that about what it costs for installation?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Does yours have a USB port on the face? I want that in addition to Bluetooth support. Haven't found anything great at Best Buy. And they told me that installation would be about $120! Is that about what it costs for installation?
His might have a USB plug coming out from the back of the head unit, but I'm not sure.

I got a Sony head unit with a USB input a few months ago at Best Buy. I love how it charges it as it plays. It doesn't have built in bluetooth, so I was using the speaker phone on the iPhone for calls, but that wasn't loud enough (had to turn the AC off and roll the windows up and it was still kind of quite) so I got a bluetooth speaker phone which is very loud and works very nice with the iPhone 3G and 3GS and the Sony Head unit.

Here's a pic of mine.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
His might have a USB plug coming out from the back of the head unit, but I'm not sure.

I got a Sony head unit with a USB input a few months ago at Best Buy. I love how it charges it as it plays. It doesn't have built in bluetooth, so I was using the speaker phone on the iPhone for calls, but that wasn't loud enough (had to turn the AC off and roll the windows up and it was still kind of quite) so I got a bluetooth speaker phone which is very loud and works very nice with the iPhone 3G and 3GS and the Sony Head unit.

Here's a pic of mine.
My perfect head unit would be a combination of yours and the OP's. I want the flexibility to switch between a USB port and Bluetooth. And, yes, the USB port is quite handy for charging.

I'll keep shopping around...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
My perfect head unit would be a combination of yours and the OP's. I want the flexibility to switch between a USB port and Bluetooth. And, yes, the USB port is quite handy for charging.

I'll keep shopping around...
Yep, me too. I wish I had got one with both, but at the time I wasn't interested in Bluetooth. My next one will have both. acosmishippo has one like that, he uses a Pioneer 7000bt.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Yep, me too. I wish I had got one with both, but at the time I wasn't interested in Bluetooth. My next one will have both. acosmishippo has one like that, he uses a Pioneer 7000bt.
I'll definitely have to look into that one. I hope it's not too expensive. :laugh2:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
$223 here, but you may be able to find it cheaper somewhere else.

Last edited by a moderator:

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Mine does not have a USB but does have an aux input. I also picked up the Belkin Micro USB charger to charge. I really like the setup. However the calls are still way to weak in volume so today I tried linking my Apple BT Headset to it while listening to music via A2DP and I couldnt get it to connect to my headset. I guess I can only have 1 BT device connected at a time.

For this reason Im starting to wish I got the one Europa mentioned, I saw this one but was so wrapped up in the BT I didn't get the Pio.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Ok, so something has been bothering me with my setup and Im not able to figure out how to fix it.

I was told that A2DP supports pause/play but thats it for controls. I thought you needed AVRCP for pause/play/ff/rw but someone told me A2DP does pause and play. Anyway, I disagreed and went on my way.

The very next day I got into my Jeep and my Sony indicated it had linked to my phone, however my iPhone bt indicator was grey still. But this time I decided to try pressing the button for pause and play (on my head unit its the number 6 when you are in BT Audio mode). IT WORKED. I had my phone in my pocket and was able to stop and start my music.

Since then, every time I link my phone it lights up the bt indicator as it should. I wonder what was different that one time it stayed grey but yet worked.
Well, I still cant get it to work again. Ive tried everything from forgetting the device and reconnecting it to rebooting everything I can. Nothing! I press the number 6 and it just keeps going.

I really wanted this to work, so I can hop in and leave the phone in my pocket, but for whatever reason I cant get it to work again.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
What's your question? It's not automatically connecting to the phone when you get in the Jeep?

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
What's your question? It's not automatically connecting to the phone when you get in the Jeep?
Im sorry, I didn't explain that well. It connects, but sometimes not automatically. Ill have to manually connect.

What Im trying to figure out is why my Sony can sometimes control pause/play functions but other times it doesn't.

I think I figured it out though. Yesterday, on my way home in wonderful rush hour traffic I decided to do some testing. I started with my iPhone bt off and the head unit on. On the iPhone, I turned on BT and selected XPLOD in the device menu to connect to, it connected but the Sony didn't control pause and play. So I started over again.
This time I turned the iPhone BT on but didn't select XPLOD from the device menu on the iPhone, instead I pressed a couple of buttons on the Sony and bam! Got it! The number 6 on the Sony is what I previously got to work pause/play so I thought, why not. Without the devices linked, but with BT turned on for both, I pressed the number 6 on the Sony and bam, they linked up. I pressed it one more time and the iPhone started playing music! So Im not sure why this is the case, but it works.

Sorry for the long post, this stuff is kind of hard to explain.