Soon to be obsolete

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jerni, Dec 23, 2012.

1. jerni

jerni Member
    Bronze

My wonderful hubby got me an iPad mini for Christmas. Which, how it works in my house, the hand me down begins. He then got my ipad 2 32gb AT&T model and my 6 year old daughter gets his gen 1 16gb AT&T iPad. Well she doesn't need a camera or any of the other features that have recently come out but her favorite fairy game is not compatible. Why do app developers do this, instead of expanding the compatibility then exclude the older model, making it obsolete before its time... I know why they do it I just hate that they do it. My question is, is there a way to trick software into thinking the iPad is a different piece of hardware ie making it look like to the app that she is on an iPad 2. I know something similar can be done making it look like your on wifi (for FaceTime) when you're on cellular.

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

It's good to see the hand-me-downs going the other way for a change...

3. jerni

jerni Member
    Bronze

What do you mean?

My hubby always gets my hand me downs bc he doesn't take care of his gadgets whereas me I baby my gadgets. My 8 month old iPhone was in better condition than his 3 month old phone so no new new for him ever again ;)

4. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I think he was saying that normally (at least here on these forums) it's the husband who get the new toy / gadget and the wife gets the hand me down..

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Exactly.

6. dwp1975

dwp1975 Member
    Bronze

Jerni, I am a app developer. Most are in it to make money, to maintain a separate codebase to support a device that the manufacturer (Apple) has stop supporting is not feasible. 1st gen iPads make such a small number of total number of iPads that it's not worth the effort. Also, Apple makes major changes to Xcode so when a new OS comes out ,the code used to work on say iOS 5.x would have to be written in legacy code for the 1st gen iPad that stopped receiving updates at iOS 5.x. I have a 1st gen iPhone and wish it could get a bunch of new apps or even updates to the apps that worked before Apple stopped supporting it but alas it's not so.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. jerni

jerni Member
    Bronze

This is disappointing. I was looking through reviews for the app hoping there were others complaining about it too there were a couple but probably not enough for them to do something about it.

So the follow up question is there a jb program to "trick" the app into thinking its an iPad 2 or newer?

8. dwp1975

dwp1975 Member
    Bronze

I am not aware of a JB app that can do such a thing. What the app checks for in terms of OS version is hard coded into the device. But if you find such a app, I'd give it a try on my 1st gen iPhone. I miss it. :-(

9. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

There used to be a JB tweak that allowed this but it only worked with one iOS version, it wasn't all inclusive, I can't remember which version it was but it may have been in the 4.X days.

Sent using iCafe app

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

3.x. It was a great tweak, too. I still have 'Fake 3.1.3' on an old 3GS I have since it's running 3.1.2. I kept my eyes peeled for a 4.x faker, but they never made one.

11. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Oh yes, I remember now!

Sent using iCafe app

12. Bell30655

Bell30655 New Member

It was developers deciding not to support the Original iPad which gave me the final push to decide to Jailbreak my iPad. It was sad to see how quickly the iPad became unsupported. The equipment works perfectly but Apple decided to no longer allow it to upgrade iOS and the developers quickly moved away from it.

13. jerni

jerni Member
    Bronze

So you jail broke it but what kind of benefits have you gotten from doing that? I'm looking for a program that will make it appear to apps that its a different ipad. Like the wi-fi faker that made it seem like you were on wifi for FaceTime purposes. Basically my daughters favorite app requires from facing camera. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sent using iCafe app

14. AmandaKess

AmandaKess Member
    Bronze

There might be a hardware limitation that makes it incompatible. As they upgrade each iPad gets different specs and the game your daughter is playing might be too much for the iPad for whatever reason.

15. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Amanda, welcome to the board! It's nice to see a new member posting as much as you are. Please Introduce Yourself here.

#15 EverythingApple, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2013
  16. jerni

jerni Member
    Bronze

yes the game now requires front facing camera but its not needed for actual game play its for the social part of it. My daughter is 6 and I wouldn't want her playing a game that needed the camera.

Sent using iCafe app