Sorry for dumb question, can I add music to iPhone without using Sync?

Grifftech

Bronze
Dec 14, 2007
I finally got all my old Applications and data from my 3G to my new 3GS, but getting music on the 3GS is killing me.

I am under the Library Category and have selected Music. I want to drag and drop music from there to the phone but I can't. It will only let me drag it to iTunes DJ.

How in the world do I get Music on the Phone?

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
In iTunes, click on your iPhone under "Devices",
Click Music tab
Check Sync Music
Select either "All Songs and Playlists" or "Selected Playlists"
Check the playlists you want to sync
Click Sync button

PS: Not a dumb question.:)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
if you want to drag and drop without syncing, you can select "manually manage music" on the summary page of your iPhone options.

Grifftech

Bronze
Dec 14, 2007
if you want to drag and drop without syncing, you can select "manually manage music" on the summary page of your iPhone options.
OMG Thank you, I was goign to smack my face in my keyboard.

Also, in the Music Library how can uncheck music without havign to manually uncheck each song?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
You can mass select songs by clicking the first, holding shift, and then clicking the last. Then just right click oN one of the selected songs, and click uncheck.

Grifftech

Bronze
Dec 14, 2007
You can mass select songs by clicking the first, holding shift, and then clicking the last. Then just right click oN one of the selected songs, and click uncheck.

You are an Apple Angel form above :)

K here is a couple more questions for you Acosmichippo, if you don't mind :)

A little history to explain all this. My wife has a 1st Gen and I had the 3G, we upgraded her phone so we could get the 3GS cheaper. I got the 3Gs and I am giving her my old 3G.

Currently her phone is still working, but we want to make sure we get all her stuff transferred over. I have done a Backup of her phone and the guy at the ATT store said I could swap the SIM out her 1st Gen into the 3G and she would be good to go, I don't believe him :)

How do I make sure all of her Music on her 1st Gen gets onto the 3G? Would she have to Sync her 1st Gen in iTunes to a Playlist or something then once I switch SIMS Sync the 3G to that same playlist or playlists?

Also is there anyway we can use the same iTunes account and keep all of our Music, Apps and stuff separate?

And finally her computer that currently has her iTunes account on it won't recognize any iPhones we plug in. It is a Vista machine and it tried to reinstall the Apple USB device media driver but kept failing, any clues on that, or where I can get the driver?

Thanks a TON!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
A little history to explain all this. My wife has a 1st Gen and I had the 3G, we upgraded her phone so we could get the 3GS cheaper. I got the 3Gs and I am giving her my old 3G.

Currently her phone is still working, but we want to make sure we get all her stuff transferred over. I have done a Backup of her phone and the guy at the ATT store said I could swap the SIM out her 1st Gen into the 3G and she would be good to go, I don't believe him :)
swap the sim, and then restore your old 3G from her v1's backup. then all her stuff should make it back.

How do I make sure all of her Music on her 1st Gen gets onto the 3G? Would she have to Sync her 1st Gen in iTunes to a Playlist or something then once I switch SIMS Sync the 3G to that same playlist or playlists?
when you restore from a backup, the iPhone should remember which playlists were synced, and resync accordingly. If not, just pick the old playlists again and resync.

Also is there anyway we can use the same iTunes account and keep all of our Music, Apps and stuff separate?
depends what you mean by "separate"... if you mean sync different things with each phone, then yes.

And finally her computer that currently has her iTunes account on it won't recognize any iPhones we plug in. It is a Vista machine and it tried to reinstall the Apple USB device media driver but kept failing, any clues on that, or where I can get the driver?
the iTunes installation includes all the drivers... so have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

Grifftech

Bronze
Dec 14, 2007
swap the sim, and then restore your old 3G from her v1's backup. then all her stuff should make it back.

when you restore from a backup, the iPhone should remember which playlists were synced, and resync accordingly. If not, just pick the old playlists again and resync.

depends what you mean by "separate"... if you mean sync different things with each phone, then yes.

the iTunes installation includes all the drivers... so have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?
Yeah tried reinstalling iTunes twice, with a uninstall first