Sorry Pro Line Waiters....Activation required at point of sale. Apple and AT&T stores

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
That's right. AT&T iPhone 3G conference call from 4:30 p.m ET today had disturbing info. Dela Vega said multiple times that you will NOT be able to buy the iPhone and walk out of the store without activating it on the spot. In other words, you can't get one for a gift for someone, you can't take it home and activate it, and you must sign up for the 2-year contract at the Apple store, in addition to the AT&T store.

Sorry resellers!

Click the link, give your email address, and watch the slides and listen to the actual conference call.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix...tId=1873725&WebCastId=768646&StreamId=1134950

marklynn70

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Oldsmar, Florida
www.myspace.com
That's right. AT&T iPhone 3G conference call from 4:30 p.m ET today had disturbing info. Dela Vega said multiple times that you will NOT be able to buy the iPhone and walk out of the store without activating it on the spot. In other words, you can't get one for a gift for someone, you can't take it home and activate it, and you must sign up for the 2-year contract at the Apple store, in addition to the AT&T store.

Sorry resellers!

Click the link, give your email address, and watch the slides and listen to the actual conference call.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix...tId=1873725&WebCastId=768646&StreamId=1134950

So just order one online then, wouldn't that fix this issue as you have to go through an activation process with any other phone you order and have delivered.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
So just order one online then, wouldn't that fix this issue as you have to go through an activation process with any other phone you order and have delivered.
The story is that they won't be selling them online, but only in Apple and AT&T stores.

Joe

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Sorry, I forgot to mention.....Will not be available online! In stores only. Here is the link to the Apple's site and they say nothing about it being available online, only that they will be available in retail stores near you.

Here is that link...

http://www.apple.com/iphone/buy/

RichR

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
What if you havew an existing AT&T account? Can you atleast upgrade and still gewt it for the price point..? Even if you are only one year into your contract..?

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
That's BS. I wanted to put my SIM card in from my current iPhone.

Right on their website it says:
Where to buy:

iPhone will be available in 8GB (black) and 16GB (black or white) models1 at Apple Retail Stores and AT&T Stores.
Find a store

Which leads me to believe this is in fact true. It doesn't say you can order it online, it says it will be for sale at retail stores.

That's why they are so cheap, you have to activate them at the store and give AT&T its pound of flesh before you get the reduced price.

If I have to buy another contract and I can't reuse my SIM card, I may not be getting one any time soon. That irks the hell out of me.

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
What if you havew an existing AT&T account? Can you atleast upgrade and still gewt it for the price point..? Even if you are only one year into your contract..?
While I do have a Bachelor's in businesss management, my expertise does not carry through to this type of market, but I would think that one could sign up for the contract in the store and then cancel the service while keeping the phone. I mean, you have 30 days to cancel a new AT&T contract, and that is a Federal law. The question is, can they make you return the device? If not, is there an additional fee you will be charged?

chrissurra

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
While I do have a Bachelor's in businesss management, my expertise does not carry through to this type of market, but I would think that one could sign up for the contract in the store and then cancel the service while keeping the phone. I mean, you have 30 days to cancel a new AT&T contract, and that is a Federal law. The question is, can they make you return the device? If not, is there an additional fee you will be charged?
Under the trial period if you don't like it you can return it you cant cancel the contract and keep the phone (unless you pay the ETF fee of 175)

So youd be out for 199 or 299+175 for the new phone to use it on another carrier, but supposedly it only works on ATTs network in the US

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
You can cancel the contract within 30 days but will either have to return the phone or pay the ETF. After 30 days your only way of cancelling is to pay the ETF and you keep the iPhone

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Under the trial period if you don't like it you can return it you cant cancel the contract and keep the phone (unless you pay the ETF fee of 175)

So youd be out for 199 or 299+175 for the new phone to use it on another carrier, but supposedly it only works on ATTs network in the US
Two points here to answer...

1. The $175 ETF does not apply during the "Buyer Remorse" period, which is the first 30 days you have service. You can cancel your service for free within that time frame, but you usually have to return all subsidized equipment at that time or face paying full price. So the question is going to be; is there a full-price figure you will have to repay, or will you have to return the phone?

2. While AT&T's 3G band is proprietary here in the US, you still have over 140 countries where you can use EDGE, and it still works here in the states on T-Mobile, Altell, and all other GSM carriers. In fact, Giz has reported that the plastic back has increased the phone's ability to make clear calls.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Two points here to answer...

1. The $175 ETF does not apply during the "Buyer Remorse" period, which is the first 30 days you have service. You can cancel your service for free within that time frame, but you usually have to return all subsidized equipment at that time or face paying full price. So the question is going to be; is there a full-price figure you will have to repay, or will you have to return the phone?

2. While AT&T's 3G band is proprietary here in the US, you still have over 140 countries where you can use EDGE, and it still works here in the states on T-Mobile, Altell, and all other GSM carriers. In fact, Giz has reported that the plastic back has increased the phone's ability to make clear calls.
You can keep the iPhone if you cancel during the "30 day trial" but you would then be on the hook for the ETF. The whole purpose of the ETF is to recover the amount the carrier subsidized. If you return the phone you would not be on the hook for the ETF

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Not having it at least available online to purchase, let alone activating it, is going to be extremely annoying to me. I don;t feel like going into Manhattan to the Apple store or the one on the island and wait on that horrid line. The AT&T store will be just the same. What a freakin disaster. How does this make any sense! There will be out of stock issues and angry people as a result.

So now I have to waste a day just to get a phone and get it fired up, all of which could have been done without my leaving my house for LAST YEAR'S version! This is backwards thinking in my opinion and not very accommodating to the current iPhone owners or their new would-be customers.

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
You can keep the iPhone if you cancel during the "30 day trial" but you would then be on the hook for the ETF. The whole purpose of the ETF is to recover the amount the carrier subsidized. If you return the phone you would not be on the hook for the ETF
While you and I are talking about virtually the same thing, an Early Termination Fee is assessed if you terminate early. You are NOT terminating early if you are within the first 30 days of a new contract....period.

However, I don't disagree that that's the reason carriers enacted the ETF. But you would have to give the phone back or pay the amount subsidized. Maybe it would be easier to understand if you called them these:

1. ETF (after first 30 days)
2. SRF (Subsidy Recoup Fee, for Buyer's Remorse period)

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Not having it at least available online to purchase, let alone activating it, is going to be extremely annoying to me. I don;t feel like going into Manhattan to the Apple store or the one on the island and wait on that horrid line. The AT&T store will be just the same. What a freakin disaster. How does this make any sense! There will be out of stock issues and angry people as a result.

So now I have to waste a day just to get a phone and get it fired up, all of which could have been done without my leaving my house for LAST YEAR'S version! This is backwards thinking in my opinion and not very accommodating to the current iPhone owners or their new would-be customers.
I agree with you fully firewire, but if you listen to the conference call I linked to, this method is specifically because of unlockers. Don't forget, Steve quoted 6 million iPhones sold in a year's time. 2.5 million on AT&T, maybe 2 million worldwide activated correctly, but there are possibly 1.5 million iPhones unlocked on other carriers.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
While you and I are talking about virtually the same thing, an Early Termination Fee is assessed if you terminate early. You are NOT terminating early if you are within the first 30 days of a new contract....period.

However, I don't disagree that that's the reason carriers enacted the ETF. But you would have to give the phone back or pay the amount subsidized. Maybe it would be easier to understand if you called them these:

1. ETF (after first 30 days)
2. SRF (Subsidy Recoup Fee, for Buyer's Remorse period)
Not sure how it works with AT&T for sure. While with verizon i had a motorola q and was still within the period i could cancel. I lost the phone and could not return it and at that point they made me pay the ETF amount of 200. If you cancel within the trial period seeing how you have already purchased the iPhone at the subsidized cost they cannot make you return the phone. But they can give you the option of returning it and getting your $199 back or paying the ETF and keeping your iPhone.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I agree with you fully firewire, but if you listen to the conference call I linked to, this method is specifically because of unlockers. Don't forget, Steve quoted 6 million iPhones sold in a year's time. 2.5 million on AT&T, maybe 2 million worldwide activated correctly, but there are possibly 1.5 million iPhones unlocked on other carriers.
It will be a mess the first few days trying to get the new phone,but the reality of doing it this way is to reduce the number of unlocked phones. Just a good businesss practice on their part.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
I understand that Apple and AT&T is trying to mitigate unlocking, but out of 6 million phones sold, did they really think they were going to sign up all 6 million on AT&T if there was no unlocked version? They have to think realistically about this. If there was no unlocked version available, for the vast majority of people, there would not have been an iPhone purchase. You just can't convert everyone over to AT&T.

mad_vtak

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
Is t he OP correct. We has to activate it at the store, and OG iPhone users just need to extend our contract?

I just checked mine and my current plan was only for a year. I just signed up in Dec. for ze iPhone

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
No biggie. Their still will be unlocked new phones. The going rate for an unlocked iPhone 3g will prob be around $400. $199 for the phone and $175 for the ETF. Leaves a profit of $126, still worth unlocking a phone.