(Sorry) "Unknown Error (1600)"

cubbie5150

Bronze
Dec 16, 2007
I know this error has been discussed, but I can't seem to get rid of it... I built my custom ipsw w/ Pwnage 2.1, and when I Option + Restore in iTunes (after iTunes has recognized my 2G iPhone in recovery mode), and select my Custom ipsw, I keep getting this error. I've done what has been instructed--deleted all files in Library/iTunes/Device Support & re-built my Custom ipsw. This is driving me nuts. I'm on a Mac, running the latest version of Leopard (10.5.5) & iTunes 8... Can any kind soul give me some ideas on what to try next?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
same thing happens to me... i haven't bothered looking for a fix yet though. I figured i'd just wait for a pwnage tool update or something.

anyway, you're not alone.

cubbie5150

Bronze
Dec 16, 2007
^^ LOL, well, misery does love company.... I see oblique references in other forums of others fixing this problem somehow, but never a definitive solution... Ugh. Guess I'll also just have to wait on on a Pwnage update.

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
have you guys previously pwnd your iPhone? if you have make sure that you have it in restore mode not DFU mode when you load the new custom IPSW

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
hmm... that isn't what pwnage tool said...

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
thats what happened to me when i tried to restore it with the new IPSW but i had already jailbroken it....so i put it into restore mode instead which has its own boot logo, and then restored it and it worked.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
weird... the way i understand it, it shouldn't matter with DFU mode.

anyway, whatever, i'm tired of restoring and re-entering my settings. Maybe i'll try again this weekend...

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
when its in restore the jailbroken firmware you already have installed is supposed to prepare it for accepting a custom IPSW, or atleast from everything i've read, and DFU is an emergency mode....

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
i've got the same problem too.

And actually, I built 1 firmware with pwnage for my brothers 2G iPhone and mine and it worked fine on my brothers but mine gets the 1600 error.

The only difference between the phones is I used quickpwn on my brothers first (then I realized quickpwn only jailbreaks, but does not unlock which is what I needed to do so I used pwnage)

I would try that for mine but I was borrowing a friend's Mac and I don't have access to it anymore. (I'm a windows user)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
See now, I'm getting 1600, but my phone doesn't require a restore after that. I've got a dark, black screen (not an iTunes USB logo) and iTunes is responding properly, but I consistently get 1600. But something tells me I'm not really in DFU because my phone does not require a restore... which it should. Why is everything indicating that I'm in DFU when I'm not? It's aggravating to say the least.

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
you just held the home button while you were plugging it into your computer correct?

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
Last edited by a moderator:

iamse7en

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Note: This solution I read on the Dev Team blog comments, and it worked for me as well. This is a much simpler method than downgrading your iTunes!

Short Answer: Say NO to "Has your phone been pwned before."

Long Answer: When you create your custom firmware in PwnageTool, and it asks you if you PWNED your phone before, say NO (even if you have), and PwnageTool will guide you through putting the phone in DFU mode (turning off the phone may be difficult - when you're iPhone is 'bricked' with a black screen - I had to hold home and lock buttons until PwnageTool recognized that I had turned off my phone) and then you can install the custom firmware through iTunes without the error 1600.

I had the same problem of error 1600, but this little fix worked for me and others.

cubbie5150

Bronze
Dec 16, 2007
Note: This solution I read on the Dev Team blog comments, and it worked for me as well. This is a much simpler method than downgrading your iTunes!

Short Answer: Say NO to "Has your phone been pwned before."

Long Answer: When you create your custom firmware in PwnageTool, and it asks you if you PWNED your phone before, say NO (even if you have), and PwnageTool will guide you through putting the phone in DFU mode (turning off the phone may be difficult - when you're iPhone is 'bricked' with a black screen - I had to hold home and lock buttons until PwnageTool recognized that I had turned off my phone) and then you can install the custom firmware through iTunes without the error 1600.

I had the same problem of error 1600, but this little fix worked for me and others.
Guess I'll give that a try tonight. My iPhone HAS been Pwned since 2.0; I know my phone is in DFU mode b/c iTunes pops up a message saying it is... All the steps have been the same as previous Pwnage attempts I've done (previous firmwares), but this is the first time iTunes has thrown any kind of error at me.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Check out the thread below this one about the WINPWN Release date. There's a way to jailbrake your 2.1 iPhone on windows. I just did it.

cubbie5150

Bronze
Dec 16, 2007
Bleh...I can't anything to work; still keep getting the unknown error 1600 so I can't restore to the Custom firmware. Guess I'm stuck w/ jailbroken 2.0.2 until/unless Pwnage tool is updated.

ndmx52

Dec 29, 2007
I keep getting this code too.

Here is my setup.

OSX 10.5.5
iTunes 8 (not 8.0.1)
Pwnage 2.1
2g 4GB iPhone (never unlocked as far as I know)
2.1 restore firmware for 2g iPhone

I run through Pwnage just like I've done many times in the past. This is not the first time I've unlocked/jailbroken an iPhone with pwnage, but the first time I've done it to this particular phone.

Once it's set to DFU mode iTunes will find it and then give me an error saying the phone is not connected or something along those lines. If I click 'ok' it's still in DFU and I option+click to located custom firmware. It will start, but then soon bring up the error (1600).

How can I get rid of this message and finish this up!?!?!?!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
well, I ended up restoring mine with the regular software again (not from a backup), and once I did that, the custom firmware loaded without any issues.

My push email from mobile me is also working infinitely better, but that's another thread.

macpro3gs

Nov 14, 2010
Does this also apply for mac 3gs iPhone 4.1 pwnage 4.1?
I could update my 3gs to 4.1 with Apple standard with an AT%T card (no subscribtion).
I installed my Mobistar card and tryed to turn on, but no coverage.
I thereforee started with Pwnage 4.1 followed the instructions, but getting the phone to DFU mode (via pwnage) is impossible...
How to continue.
I have spent most of weekend now....
Thank for help.