Sound is only coming out of ONE speaker?

ADDam

Bronze
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Kidding... Actually I was wondering if anyone else's speaker on their GS sounds... muddy? The sound is NOWHERE as crisp as the 3G. Especially when the tri-tone goes off. Now the iPod songs play ok at best (EQ on bass reducer), but it just seems like ringtones and text alerts just sound like crap. I feel like if I were to take it into Apple I would get the, "It sounds fine to me" reply.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
All good hear. Might want to consider taking it in and see what they think. I don't know of anything you can try to fix this situation except a reboot and not sure that is the answer.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
You know anybody with a 3G that you can compare with? If not, you can visit a genius bar & compare it there.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Mine sounds good, Addam. Maybe you got a slightly defective speaker/sound system.

ADDam

Bronze
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Well my girlfriend has my old 3G, I just compared it with hers and mine is slightly louder, but distorted. The worst is the noise it makes when I plug it in.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
It does seem as though the louder iPhone is due to a software update, not a better speaker, because some sounds on my iPhone seem distorted as well. All in all, though, it's no problem for me.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
It does seem as though the louder iPhone is due to a software update, not a better speaker, because some sounds on my iPhone seem distorted as well. All in all, though, it's no problem for me.
Can't wait to see what Nap comes up with for a sig now.:D

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
50% is the new 100%. Think of the volume settings higher than 50% as a pre-amp like you would see on equalizers on media players on the computer. A cheap solution to the problem, it's no wonder they didn't tout it as a specific improvement... (They technically could do this same thing to the V1 and 3G)

Set your volume level to 50% (8 clicks of the volume rocker from either 0% or 100%) and your speaker volume will be precisely what 100% was on the 3G, and you'll get that nice and crisp sound. Set it any higher and it will certainly get louder, but you will clip the parts of the sound waves that were already close to the max - this causes the "muddy" sound on the alerts and tones that were designed for maximum hearability at the "original" 100% - i.e. close to the max already

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Spot-on, Fury. Software amplification is right on par with digital zoom on a camera. If you can get that analogy, you understand why Apple needs to work on this situation. It sucks. Especially when the software limiter fails and it distorts the speaker. Which, by most accounts, is happening a lot.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Nicely diagnosed fury :eek:k:eek:k
Glad I could help. The force is strong in my family... My dad and his brother are both audio engineers, and I work with a bunch of audio engineers too. I don't understand 90% of the stuff they do, but every now and then, that 10% comes in real handy for me. :eek:k:eek:k