Sound issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dirk Hofman, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Dirk Hofman

Dirk Hofman New Member

Having issues with the sounds on my iPhone 4s. At present none of my music apps, or YouTube, have any volume but if I plug in headphones I can hear them.

I have an audible ring tone but the alerts for emails or text messages are silent. I can also hear voice memos if I play them but if I turn on the ‘lock’ sounds then these cannot be heard – likewise the noise that is heard when you plug phone in to charge cannot be heard.

I am not sure but this does not seem to be the ‘stuck in headphone mode’ problem that some have been having, or is it? If I use the volume buttons then I do not get the display saying ‘ringer (headphones), as you would when headphones are plugged in.

I have done a full reset, and then sounds such as the ‘lock’ sound return, but as soon as I restore a backup of my iPhone then all sounds are lost again. The backup of my iPhone is via iCloud but I have even reinstalled a previous back up from May 2012 from my Mac, but still sounds are lost.

Anyone had similar problems or know how to sort this? All advice greatly received. Thanks.

2. Mathew Connelly

Bronze

Have you by any chance tied your volume buttons with the Ringer and Alerts volume? To check that, go to Settings > Sounds and see whether the "Change with Buttons" is on.

3. Dirk Hofman

Dirk Hofman New Member

Volume is tied to ringer and alerts but pressing the buttons does not increase or decrease the volume. They do work if I have headphones plugged in though.

If I turn off "change with buttons" then still no sound.

Cheers though.

4. Mathew Connelly

Bronze

Try un-tying the ringer and alerts from the volume buttons, make sure you do not have your headphones connected at that time, run the Music app and play a song. Then try putting the volume as high as possible using the volume-up button. Any progress?

5. Dirk Hofman

Dirk Hofman New Member

I've tried un-tying the ringer and alerts from the buttons and nothing happens when I play music and use the volume up button. Likewise nothing happens if ringer and alerts are tied! But thanks for the suggestion.

ibbi, if it is a hardware issue then why would everything work if I reset the phone and then not work when I restore a backup version of my phone?

I have even restored a backup from May which was a couple of months before I had any issues and it's still the same.

I will take it to an Apple store, but the Apple store is 50 miles away. I intend to do this at the weekend. So will they fix it in the store or is it just going to be a case of it being sent away for god knows how long? Anyone got any experience of UK Apple stores? I have done the online trouble shooting but that just ends in them wanting me to send my phone away, and as I'm going on holiday in 2 weeks, I am not prepared to send my phone away.

May just be a case of a full reset and starting all over again from scratch.

6. Dirk Hofman

Dirk Hofman New Member

Simple reset without deleting data and starting off as a new iPhone has done the trick. Just hope the next back up does not screw things up again.