Sound Loss

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nbdiver, Aug 1, 2008.

1. nbdiver

nbdiver Member
    Bronze

Has anyone experienced sound loss with their phone while not in vibrate mode? I have now had to restart my phone 2x because all of sudden I lose all sound to the phone like the sound when turning on or off. I was able to get sound from the speakers when playing an iPod song but everything would not work until I restarted. Is this just another quirk to the many for the iPhone? I also have to restart my phone a lot to get email to come in, I know this is a problem with many as I have seen it on several other threads.

Its beginning to remind me of rebooting windows for all applications to work properly...:(

2. Tex

Tex New Member
    Silver

*shudders*

You just brought back a whole wealth of nasty memories....Sadly, you are right, though. This makes me think of windows with all the bugs...

I have faith however that the software fixes will be here soon..(crossing fingers).

BTW, I have not experienced this issue as of yet, no.

3. juzcallmeg0d

juzcallmeg0d New Member
    Bronze

this happened to me once. just restarted the phone, hasn't happened since.

4. seanwes

seanwes Zealot
    Gold

Periodically, my text notifications had stopped making sound when in regular (not vibrate) mode, and I would have to reset. This hasn't happened for awhile though, and i've since upgraded to 2.0 (5A347)

5. nbdiver

nbdiver Member
    Bronze

I know...sorry! I was thinking when I switched from my windows mobile Treo I wouldn't have problems like it but strangely windows mobile didn't have near the bugs this product has. I hate to say it but at this point its true. I am with you I am keeping my fingers crossed for some fixes to all the bugs soon.

6. nbdiver

nbdiver Member
    Bronze

I am on 5A347 as well but still have the issue.

7. L.I. Bruce Fan

Bronze

I too have 5A347 and have had 2 different episodes of this:

Once I lost all sounds, ringer, keyboard, alerts, even iPod functionality. It returned as mysteriously as it disappeared.

The second time I only lost the new mail alert, this time I rebooted the phone to get it to return.

When it happened to me I searched the forums and found others that this has happened to, but not that many, and certainly not as many posters complaining about other apparent "software" glitches. So that makes me wonder, is this a software glitch or a hardware glitch or a combo of the two that may only effect a small number of handsets?

My concern is that if it only effects a small number of handsets, it might not be properly addressed in any software updates.

8. nbdiver

nbdiver Member
    Bronze

I think it would have to be a software glitch since the problem goes away when you reboot the phone?

9. seanwes

seanwes Zealot
    Gold

yeah, definitely. it'll be fixed with an update. i'm not worried.

10. Krunk83

Krunk83 Zealot
    Gold

My wifes 3g loses sound and won't make any noise for any notification at all. Calls, sms, email, alarms, nothing. I did a soft restore and it worked for a day and a half and now it is back to no sound. I am going to do a restore to back up and see if that fixes it. Anyone have any ideas what is causing the problems? Thanks.

11. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Stock or jailbroken?

12. Krunk83

Krunk83 Zealot
    Gold

13. Krunk83

Krunk83 Zealot
    Gold

I did a restore to back up so hopefully this does the trick. If not, restore to new is in order. Anyone else had this problem?

14. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Not stock. I would think a restore should straighten it out.

15. Krunk83

Krunk83 Zealot
    Gold

Thanks Dave, I am hoping the same.

16. Krunk83

Krunk83 Zealot
    Gold

Never. Although she does have a hookup in her can that uses the headphone jack for music. I wonder if that is the problem. I'll have to ask her if she has used it lately.

17. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Have you tried plugging and unplugging a pair of earbuds several times yet?

18. Krunk83

Krunk83 Zealot
    Gold

Yeah and did a restore. The speaker will work sometimes and won't work others. It'll work for a phone call but not a text or won't work for both. Hers is still under warranty so I am thinking I'll just take it to a genius for her. Not on black Friday though. Lol.

19. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Yeah, take it in. Sounds like an intermittent hardware issue perhaps.

20. Ramesh

Ramesh Zealot
    Gold

I usually just flip my audio switch back and forth and that'll fix it. I get the same problem every once in a a while.