Sound on Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by reginaalear, Jan 5, 2012.

1. reginaalear

reginaalear Member
    Bronze

I've noticed that on the 4s while I'm connected to my Bluetooth headset and talking to someone I don't get alert sounds or music like I did on my 4. Is this normal on the 4s? Like used to I would still hear text alerts and music while on a call but now I don't. Does anyone know if this is normal?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Unfortunately, you'll need to disable A2DP on the Bluetooth headset if you want to be able to hear the text tones on the phone while the Bluetooth headset is connected to it.

3. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I'm using the Bose Bluetooth Series 2 and I can hear mails and messages arriving while I am talking. I don't need to change settings to it. I'm still very happy with it. I am on AT&T, I don't know if that may have anything to do with it.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, the carrier has nothing to do with it. Some A2DP Bluetooth headsets will play text alerts even if A2DP is turned on, others won't. The Jawbone ICON will, the Jawbone ERA won't. However, if you disable A2DP on the ERA, voice dialing will no longer work. It will route the call, but you won't hear any audio through the device, even after toggling audio sources. For this reason, you are forced to leave A2DP turned on, but you won't hear any audio alerts. Pretty crappy for a $130 Bluetooth headset. It's a nice headset with killer battery life, but the A2DP problems that are associated with it make it no worth upgrading to. I've tested it with two different ERAs and experienced the same problems on both of them.

5. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I got mine for $ 120 including tax and delivery. This is my first Bluetooth. I hear there are others more sophisticated but the sound quality isn't as good. I'm only having a minor problem with the GPS and I don't know where to star from. I'm using MotionX, if I make a wrong turn I hear only the end of the word " rerouting " like ng, I don't know if it is the phone, the Bose or the GPS. Where would u have me star it from? Other than that I do get all the other directions.

6. reginaalear

reginaalear Member
    Bronze

I have a Motorola headset. It's the same one I used when I had the iPhone 4 and was able to hear them with it. Is there something different with the 4s or could it be something wrong with my phone? Also how do you adjust settings on it? There isn't any on the headset itself. Thanks so much!

7. reginaalear

reginaalear Member
    Bronze

Oh and I'm on AT&T also.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm not sure with Motorolla. Jawbone has a MyTalk website/app for configurations. I had A2DP turned off on my ERA the entire time I had an iPhone 4, so I'm not sure if there is a difference between the 4 and 4S with this. The carrier is irrelevant. See if you can figure out how to disable A2DP (if your headset has it enabled).

9. reginaalear

reginaalear Member
    Bronze

I'm going to try to use it on my husbands 4s tonight and see if it works on his. If so I guess I will have to exchange my phone. My headset is a pretty old one that I got about 6 years ago so it could be that, but what confuses me is that it worked on the 4.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You don't need to exchange the phone for this. You might need a new Bluetooth headset, though. I've tested it on three 4S' and it happened on all three (no text tones when connected to certain BT headsets). I can tell you with certainty that you'll hear the text tones on your 4S if it's connected to a Jawbone ICON, and that is the one I recommend if you are going to upgrade.

The 4S has Bluetooth 4.0. As far as I know it's the only phone on the market with that new protocol. The problem might be incompatibility between the two. For me, it was an A2DP problem, but I think your headset is too old for that feature.

11. reginaalear

reginaalear Member
    Bronze

Thanks so much. I actually called Apple earlier and they told me I need to get the A2DP headset. I will definitely look into the one you suggested. Do you happen to remember the price? My headset is pretty old but still works great so I was going to hold on to it for a while, but I guess it's time for a new one.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The Jawbone ICON is $99. It's a really nice headset and I highly recommend it. I also recommend a custom earpiece from Avery Sound if you use Bluetooth a lot.
    http://jawbone.com/headsets/icon/overview

13. reginaalear

reginaalear Member
    Bronze

thanks. Yes I do use Bluetooth a lot. Can I get the custom earpiece on the same website or is there another one?

14. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I have a new Jabra Cruiser 2, and I love it. It does play not only my notification but everything else. My older Jabra would not however. It would only play Ringtones, and do voice when I was calling.

My new one actually plays ever alert, plus using GPS. It works flawless, because it's based on the ipod sound I guess.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I finally got the tones working on my Jawbone ERA last night. I had to change the dial app software from Voice Dial to Voice Control in MyTalk and then sync it to the ERA.
    Here's the link for the custom earpiece. It's worth every penny. They are much more comfortable than stock earpieces and they increases the volume quite a bit.
    http://averysound.com/