Sounds like AT&T is going to let anyone get the iPhone, under contract or not.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

WTEngel

Bronze
May 22, 2007
Texas
I saw this post on Macrumors.com

This guy had a conversation with an online customer service rep from AT&T. The gist seems to be it does not matter whether you are in contract, out of contract, new customer or not. The price is the price, and the contract is two years.

Copied text below:

This is a conversation I had with a Tech through the chat with a Tech Live feature on att.com. Take this how you want but there is some info in here that is very appealing to me. This info might be known already and if it is just take this as another person stating that its true.

Kenneth_S: To Me
Welcome to the New AT&T Data Support Chat! Good evening I understand that you ahve a question about the iPhone and you family plan?

Me:
Yes I do thank you, I plan on getting an iPhone next friday and i am in a family plan with my mom will i have to cancel both numbers or can i just extend my number for two years and pay the $699 for the iPhone

Kenneth_S To Me:
You would just extend your contract on your phone for the iPhone.

Me:
Also how much would it be for me to buy it under contract? Would i just pay $600 (I plan on getting the 8GB) or will it be more money because I'm still under contract?

Kenneth_S To Me:

Me:
Also, just to clarify, I would just have to extend my number? My mom's number will not be extended as well?

Kenneth_S To Me:
Correct.

Kenneth_S To Me:
Are there any other data related questions that I may help you with today?

Me:
Will i need to have a data plan on my account already when i buy my iPhone?

Kenneth_S To Me:
No they will have special data plans that have not been unveiled yet.

Me:
Will i be required to buy a data plan the day i buy my iPhone?

Kenneth_S To Me:
No.

Kenneth_S To Me:
Are there any other data related questions that I may help you with today?

Me:
no thank you.

Kenneth_S To Me:
Thank you for visiting the New AT&T, Data Support Chat. Please comment on your experience by taking our customer satisfaction survey at
http://support.cingular.com/survey/e...e=pr omptVote

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I'm practically jumping for joy.....just at the possibility that this *might* be correct...

Not that I don't WANT a data plan, I just want the ability to get rid of it, if I don't want it some month. :)

ShIN

Jun 4, 2007
I hope this info is right... and it's not that i don't want the data.. ill probably get it anyways... just not being forced into getting it. Makes me feel like Apple/att are actually trying to be helpful to some customers who still want the phone but might not want a data plan right away.

brinox

Bronze
Apr 30, 2007
they say you don't need a data plan, but when you get billed for every kb you download and have a $200 bill then you might rethink things...

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
I don't get it. If the phone is not being subsidized, then why make a customer extend their current contract? What is the customer getting out of the deal? Not a cheaper phone price. Sounds pretty stupid.

blackoutcrl

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
DC
www.blackoutgraphics.com
I don't get it. If the phone is not being subsidized, then why make a customer extend their current contract? What is the customer getting out of the deal? Not a cheaper phone price. Sounds pretty stupid.
yep... i guarantee there will be a 'special' plan for the iPhone... why else would you buy a cracked out iPod unless you were to use it for data.?

soloudinhere

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
I'm pretty sure this phone is subsidized, it's just subsidized across the board for all customers instead of just for new customers. Otherwise it is way too far below the going market rate for smartphones. I'm pretty sure there's the standard $200 subsidy in play, but if they do it to all phones and not just those for new customers (hence the 2 year extension to buy the phone) it creates an "invisible subsidy" which I'm sure makes Apple happy, because that's more money to them.