Spam Deletion

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Hi Everyone,

I was looking at my email earlier today and after reading and deleting a few, I noticed the "Mailboxes" window. There's of course "Inbox", "Sent", "Draft", etc., and then I noticed "Spam". Well....in the time I'ved owned the iPhone, (since launch day), I'd never paid any attention to the "Spam" mailbox. When I looked in it, there were over 200 spam messages. My questions are, number one, is there a way to get rid of them w/o having to go through each one and delete it, and number two, how in the world do I prevent them from getting on my phone ? Aside from the sexual ads, the majority were wrist watch ads. Very strange.....Thanks in advance. Cheers !

Also, what does "Starred" mean in the mailbox section ?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Well unless you Jailbreak your phone and add a 3rd party program to it then there is no "mass delete" for e-mail messages, unfortunately. It's better that they end up in your SPAM folder than in your regular mailbox though, so the fact that they're going to the SPAM folder means they are not "going onto your phone" essentially.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm guessing you're using Gmail here. If not, other IMAP services should behave similarly.

Those spam messages weren't actually on your phone until you went into the spam folder on your iPhone and it synced with the spam folder on Gmail. This is where all the spam messages go after Gmail filters them. You can also flag a message that gets to your inbox as spam simply by moving it to the spam folder on your iPhone. Next time you check your mail, the changes will be reflected on Gmail.

Now, to easily erase all those spam messages from your phone, log into Gmail using safari and select to delete all spam messages there with one click. Then the next time you check your mail, they'll disappear from the phone.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
And while it should be obvious at this point, I would just avoid the spam folder on your phone altogether in the future. :)