Sparrow Bought By Google, Not Good At All For Sparrow Users

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by chris, Jul 20, 2012.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

It's happened before (Tweetie) and now once again with a popular app. This time around, those who purchased Sparrow have reason to be less then pleased. According to the company (email I received from them), there will be no new planned features for Sparrow.

This means it's dead. Sure it'll work in its current state, but that's hardly enough when you are taking about email clients. Heck, most Sparrow users were still waiting for push.

Did you buy Sparrow?

2. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Nope...I don't use email enough to justify buying an email app. I figured a buyout would happen, though; either that or some Apple restriction they couldn't get around would prevent it from being as useful as it could be. So even if I did use email a lot, I wouldn't have gone for it. I tend to be more conservative about app purchases, because I know that it could be uprooted by a giant 800lb gorilla and thrown out the window like that. (unless I fully intend to get all of my money's worth out of it right away and without expecting any updates, e.g. games)

3. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

I bought Sparrow and after a couple aborted tries I've begun using it every day on the Mac instead of the default Mail app. I've pretty much got all the way used to it and much prefer it to the Mail app. I feel bummed that it's probably going to waste away now, or get uglified by Google.

4. Gold Fish CEO

Gold Fish CEO New Member

Tim Cook should buy Sparrow in advance, Apple is just too slow

5. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I dabbled in the beta on the desktop a while back, but I kept going back to Mail. Never bought the app.

So Sparrow will be gone and they'll Sparrow-fy their Googly apps? Is that the plan?

6. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

I really hope that's the way things will go. If they Google-ify Sparrow instead I'm thinking that may end up as one ugly not-so-great replacement. Meanwhile, I'm trying my best to like Postbox as an alternative.