Speaker dock for 2G with case under $50?

paqman

Aug 8, 2009
Hey, just looking around for a decent speaker/charging dock for my iPhone 2G that will work with my case on. Pretty slim case, but I don't want to have to take it off at all. It doesn't need to have huge sound capacity, it will be on my desk at work, played at pretty low levels.

I don't want to pay $200 just to listen to crap at work, so under $50 would be nice.

Any suggestions?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Unless you have a case where the bottom portion slides off to dock, you are not going to find anything that will accommodate an iPhone in a case. too many variations of cases and sizes etc.
Plus, even if you wanted to dock with a case that the bottom does slide off of, it's entirely possible that the back of the case makes the phone too thick to correctly seat on the docking terminal.
If anything, I would contact the case manufacturer and see if they have any recommendations.

paqman

Aug 8, 2009
Unless you have a case where the bottom portion slides off to dock, you are not going to find anything that will accommodate an iPhone in a case. too many variations of cases and sizes etc.
Plus, even if you wanted to dock with a case that the bottom does slide off of, it's entirely possible that the back of the case makes the phone too thick to correctly seat on the docking terminal.
If anything, I would contact the case manufacturer and see if they have any recommendations.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the bottom of the case does slide off for access to docks, but there are two problems with this. One, it's a pain in the a$$ to get off, because the case is on-top of my Zagg invisible shield. And two, constant taking on and off would wear down the little latch that snaps in, and eventually would get too weak to stay on on it's own.

What I was hoping for was just a generally "open" dock that is just wider to accommodate the general case-using crowd. I've seen them at stores, and I've slid it on them fine at the store, but these are generally docks that state they do not work with the iPhone. Perhaps they would work fine, but haven't wanted to take the chance yet.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
well, anything that takes dock adapters will generally fit, but you have to be careful since the only thing holding the phone up would be the connector.

paqman

Aug 8, 2009
well, anything that takes dock adapters will generally fit, but you have to be careful since the only thing holding the phone up would be the connector.
Yeah, I've always wondered how those types hold up the ipod. I guess that's because they include adapters. Never thought of that.