Speaker Question

Sweetie

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
US
The sound is louder out of one speaker on my iPhone than the other, Is this normal?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
That's abnormal indeed, as there is only one speaker. The other side is the mic.

--
Mike

kultschar

Bronze
Jul 15, 2009
Ha - guess that answered that then lol

LornaP

Bronze
Jul 12, 2009
Michigan
See, I never knew that. So which side is the speaker? I just got the Ocarina app and was wondering where exactly the mic was... lol.

*edited* didn't want anyone to insinuate anything :)

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
The speaker in on the left - other side's the mic.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
A way to figure out which side the speaker is on is to play music or any sound from the phone. Listen to the phone carefuly with your ears and figure out which side the music is coming from. Turning your speakers down will help you pinpoint which side the sound comes from. After you figure out which side the sound comes from you can now move on the the mic. To figure out where the mic is located you will need to call yourself from your iPhone and speak very softly into both ports on the bottom of the phone. Whichever side is louder is the microphone. Now after you have figured out which side the speaker and mic is on, you will need to make sure you did not by a model that had them both installed on the same side. If you did you will have to return it from where you bought it. They will replace this under warranty since it was their fault. Good luck.....I hope you didn't get one of the bad models!

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Apple, you're a smart ass.
Why whatever do you mean? I just said what I figured you were gonna say when I saw that you posted "you just couldn't do it." After reading through again you probably were directing your comment to the "wondering where to blow" part and not the speaker/mic ongoing issues of only one speaker working.:sneaky:

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
BTW to Sweetie, the OP, It is normal for sound to only come from one side of the bottom of your phone. One side is the mic and one side is the speaker. I was joking around because that is a very common question that gets asked all the time. Alot of people have asked that question!

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Why whatever do you mean? I just said what I figured you were gonna say when I saw that you posted "you just couldn't do it." After reading through again you probably were directing your comment to the "wondering where to blow" part and not the speaker/mic ongoing issues of only one speaker working.:sneaky:
Bingo! Give that man a dollar!

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
It wouldn't matter. They would not look in it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sweetie

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
US
It wouldn't matter. They would not look in it.
Not sure who the hell "THEY" are but sorry for bothering the great iPhone Jerk's with my question! Guess that's exactly why I try not to post on the site cause the same people have smart remarks about everything that isn't something they don't know! Maybe the admins should consider starting a site for those of us who were not gifted with the iPhone genius knowledge that some of you were born with. Thought the site was for help not insults!

Thanks anyway!:mad:

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
I had the exact same question. I took a moment to ponder the issue. I then:

(1) Covered up each hole on the bottom that looked like a speaker with my finger. I easily was able to tell that the sound was coming out of the left side.

(2) I presumed that the right was a microphone and confirmed this by looking in the manual.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
Come on now, no need to be like that Sweetie. Your question was answered. The only reason we say these things is because the same questins gets asked often and a simple search would have given you your answer without the need of a new thread.

LornaP

Bronze
Jul 12, 2009
Michigan
It would be also just as easy to ignore and not read such posts as this if you have already seen several. And it would be less trouble to not even reply if you are bothered by the post, simply move on and not take the time to make the OP and others that also did not know, feel bad.

Thank you to those that did give direct replies and answers to the original question :)

I have however noted that I should use the search feature in future and not make an attempt, as a newbie, to get involved in an active thread. :D

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
It would be also just as easy to ignore and not read such posts as this if you have already seen several. And it would be less trouble to not even reply if you are bothered by the post, simply move on and not take the time to make the OP and others that also did not know, feel bad.

Thank you to those that did give direct replies and answers to the original question :)

I have however noted that I should use the search feature in future and not make an attempt, as a newbie, to get involved in an active thread. :D
You are right. However, I think those kind of replies are needed. I would hope that from this time on the OP will search before posting a question like you said you would in the future. That is the reason why some of us make those replies, even though they seem useless, they work.

LornaP

Bronze
Jul 12, 2009
Michigan
Fair enough and point taken. But I personally do not feel it was necessary for some to be sarcastic and rude to get that message across. Just my opinion and no big deal.
;)