Speaker Sound - Distorted

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I was messing about with the AOL Radio service last night and I noticed how distorted the sound is, when putting the volume up too high. If I put the volume any higher than say half way, the sound comes out very distorted on the iPhones speaker. You know when you turn up the sound on a cheap sound system and the speakers cannot handle the power?

Anyone else noticed this?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Do you have a V1 or 3G iPhone? The latter goes a long way towards solving this issue.

For either, though, try using the "bass reducer" EQ setting in the iPod settings. I don't know if this will affect AOL Radio or not, but it goes a long way towards making music from the iPod sound much better at high volume through the speaker.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Guess that would help. I have the 3G one.

I will check the bass settings tonight. Phone is sitting at home waiting for the final Invisible Shield thing to cure.

Saying that, when I plugged my iPhone into my car the other day, so I could listen to AOL radio via my system, that sounded distorted also. So it could just be an AOL thing. Shame, they have dedicated Tupac & Metallica channels.

I will run more tests tonight.

Do you have a V1 or 3G iPhone? The latter goes a long way towards solving this issue.

For either, though, try using the "bass reducer" EQ setting in the iPod settings. I don't know if this will affect AOL Radio or not, but it goes a long way towards making music from the iPod sound much better at high volume through the speaker.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Tupac and Metallica? Lol, rock on with your eclectic self!

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Early Metalica was the best, now they make weird hippie music.

Tupac is timeless.... Give em guns, step back, watch them kill each other. Only in LA can you understand what he sings about. The streets of LA are tough man.

Tupac and Metallica? Lol, rock on with your eclectic self!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
No, man... I hear ya. Props on listening to only the good stuff, regardless of genre.

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
yeah its just the aol service. the first day when i downloaded the AOL radio app the quality seemed horiblle so ive stuck to pandora since. yesterday i opend up aol radio again and figured that when your on wifi the quality is just ok but when your not it gets worse. so its not your speaker because you can just test it by not using the aol app and just playing music from your iPhone and youll see the difference. and if you don't then you should get it replaced

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I'll check Pandora out tonight. Thanks for the tip.

Do they have a Tupac and Metallica channel ;)

yeah its just the aol service. the first day when i downloaded the AOL radio app the quality seemed horiblle so ive stuck to pandora since. yesterday i opend up aol radio again and figured that when your on wifi the quality is just ok but when your not it gets worse. so its not your speaker because you can just test it by not using the aol app and just playing music from your iPhone and youll see the difference. and if you don't then you should get it replaced

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu

well he did posted this on the 3G forum... so I would assumed it's a 3G,

also I had this concern myself.

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
I'll check Pandora out tonight. Thanks for the tip.

Do they have a Tupac and Metallica channel ;)
they don't have dedicated channels, what pandora does is you type in tupac and itll make a station for you that plays tupac songs and other similar artist so itd also play like BIG and nas and jay z ect.. same for metallica it will play them and other ppl who sound the same. so this way you can discover artist or songs you never knew before. what i do is i put all my favorite artists and made stations for all of them so i have (2pac nas jay z lupe fiasco kanye commom and the game) and theres a featur called "quickmix" and it mixes all of them together so you have one station playing all of your fav artist and others that are like them. but the quality is great it really sounds like your playing songs of your iPhone and not streaming them. even over 3g.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
well he did posted this on the 3G forum... so I would assumed it's a 3G,
I rarely browse forums by category, only by new posts. But you're right, my bad.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
they don't have dedicated channels, what pandora does is you type in tupac and itll make a station for you that plays tupac songs and other similar artist so itd also play like BIG and nas and jay z ect.. same for metallica it will play them and other ppl who sound the same. so this way you can discover artist or songs you never knew before. what i do is i put all my favorite artists and made stations for all of them so i have (2pac nas jay z lupe fiasco kanye commom and the game) and theres a featur called "quickmix" and it mixes all of them together so you have one station playing all of your fav artist and others that are like them. but the quality is great it really sounds like your playing songs of your iPhone and not streaming them. even over 3g.
It also allows you to "thumbs down" a song so that it won't play it anymore. And after three? five? thumbs down a particular artist will be removed from the channel.

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
It also allows you to "thumbs down" a song so that it won't play it anymore. And after three? five? thumbs down a particular artist will be removed from the channel.
oh yeah thats right. i didn't know after a few times itll remove the artist, thanks :) now its time to go thumbing down

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
AOL Radio is definitely not as good as Pandora or last.fm. last.fm has even better sound than Pandora, but I hated the buffering times.

AOL Radio sounds especially bad when playing rock songs. "Cleaner" music sounds better.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I just downloaded an Aerosmith song onto my iPhone and played it back full volume. It sounds fine, no distortions at all. I think the sound problems are very specific to AOL radio.

Will try Pandora a little later when I have more time.

AOL Radio is definitely not as good as Pandora or last.fm. last.fm has even better sound than Pandora, but I hated the buffering times.

AOL Radio sounds especially bad when playing rock songs. "Cleaner" music sounds better.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I just downloaded an Aerosmith song onto my iPhone and played it back full volume. It sounds fine, no distortions at all. I think the sound problems are very specific to AOL radio.

Will try Pandora a little later when I have more time.
Yes, it is specific to AOL Radio. The iPod songs are fine.

TyWebb

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
Paradise, FL, USA
Yep, its only AOL radio that distorts. I find that ig you keep the volume around 70% in the AOL APP it works fine but bove that and it get bad. Although its not free my favorite internet radio app is actually the "Tuner" app. It is $5.99 but an awesome app none the less. They have a bunch of great stations on there.