Speakers Are Not Working

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Andy_Panda, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Andy_Panda

Andy_Panda New Member
    Bronze

On the way home from a friends house I put the iPhone in the cup holder of my car. I always do this, but when I picked it up I realized that there was water still there from the drink I had earlier. When I turned on the phone no sound was coming out. Also, it soemtimes will bring up the message "iPhone is not compatible with this device...ect" You know, the message that comes up when you dock the iPhone on something that it dosnt work with.

Anyways, the speakers will work and not work at random times
    Is this covered on the warranty?

2. monkeysrock0622

Gold

Water damage is not covered under the warranty, but if the water only touched the bottom portion, where the speakers are, you might be able to get a replacement for free. This is because the water-damage indicator is at the top in the headphone jack. They will think its just faulty equipment.

3. Andy_Panda

Andy_Panda New Member
    Bronze

Cool

It seems to be working fine now
    Maybe it just needed to dry a bit
    But if this problem continues
    Ill give them a call tomorrow and
    see what they can do about it

4. bubblehead624

bubblehead624 New Member

My phone ear speaker quit working. If I use the speaker phone I can hear the caller, if I use the included headphones I can hear the caller.

I took the phone to a "Genius" at the Apple store and he immediately looked at the moisture detectors and tried to show me the connector sensor was red, I can't see it but say he is actually a "Genius" and can see things I can't.

How can I replace the ear speaker? I have seen the videos about taking the phone apart but I haven't been able to find the speaker.

Does anyone know where I maybe able to find one?

Thank you,
    Bryan

5. AdrianCubed

AdrianCubed Zealot
    Gold

Go back to the Apple store and demand they clearly show you the sensor is red. If it is thats water damage. Have the phone been wet, or have u dropped it in water, spilled something on it?

Make sure you demand them to point out clearly the water sensor is red. If they cannot, speak with a manager. Be firm until they give you a replacement, or they show you clear as day that the sensor is red.

6. bubblehead624

bubblehead624 New Member

Went to a different Apple store, the "Genius" did show me the sensor, it's red, I'm screwed.

Still looking for the parts.

7. Adam1389

Adam1389 Member
    Silver

Check Apple's website for out of warranty service, they might cover that, I forget the cost, but its cheaper then buying a new phone.

8. ZipZap

ZipZap Member
    Silver

I am confused by this thread...

It starts of saying the earphone stopped working as if is was a random event...

Then its revealed the indicator is red.

You got your phone wet...how could you not know this?

9. bubblehead624

bubblehead624 New Member

I don't know when the sensor turned red. I ride a motorcycle ~22K miles a year, I keep the iPhone in a zip lock bag when I am on the bike to keep it dry. I've been doing this for years with other smart phones (WM & Palm) without a problem. I have not seen any indication that the phone got wet except when the "Genius" showed me the spot.

So now that I have the problem, I just want to fix it.

Any help would be most appreciated.

10. Swagger

Swagger New Member
    Gold

If you know that you did not immerse your phone in water. I would fight Apple on the red indicator! The water damage indicator is in the most stupid place for iPhone owners. Yet it's in the greatest place for Apple to boost repair or replacement sales.

The speaker going out or becoming so weak you can't even hear it is a known problem of the iPhone. I would call Apple's customer support and complain. The heck with what those so called "Geniuses" (yeah right) tell you. I would not just give up. Apple should have done something about this whole speaker issue long ago. My speaker is so weak I can hardly even hear it anymore. Thanks for your post you reminded me to call Apple about the same problem. Stand up and be heard! Mark

11. Harleyman

Harleyman New Member

The speaker on the bottom of my phone just stopped working. But sound does come from the speaker on the top that you use for calls but it's really quiet even when it's turned all the way up? Is there a setting that I accidentally changed or is there a problem with it?

12. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Try a reboot, then a restore then the store. Lol, probably the store!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

13. Harleyman

Harleyman New Member

Hey thanks, for some reason I decided to try here first before a reboot haha but the reboot fixed it, but thanks!

14. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

That's good. Glad I helped. Just hollar my way if you need any more help, or my fellow eic peers!

15. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

I can make a call and the timer starts but I don't hear anything. If I turn the speaker on I hear the call just fine. What gives?!
    I did a hard reset twice and it's still doing it. Just started this afternoon when I went to make a call.
    Any ideas?

16. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

Just tried my iPod and I can't hear any music out of the bottom speaker either. I can tell it's playing because the play is changing to pause.

17. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

Update:
    I came home and plugged into iTunes and did a sync. Still the same problem. I decided to kill my JB and upgrade to the 4.1 on the off chance my JB was causing the problem. I thought it was weird since the speaker for the phone was working (just not the ear speaker) and yet when I play a song on the iPod it wouldn't play through that very same speaker! WTF?!
    Anyway, I was downloading the 4.1 software update and it was taking awhile so I left my phone plugged into the desktop and went downstairs to eat dinner, figuring I would end up making a trip to the Apple store tonight. I just now came back upstairs to the computer and picked up the phone and all the sounds are now working! HUH?! I didn't touch it, wasn't even close to it, and it's now working. I canceled the 4.1 download and unplugged in order to keep my JB for now.

While I'm glad it's working, can anyone explain this should it happen again?

18. canamera

canamera Zealot
    Gold

that's almost as bad as my wife's problem:
    She just noticed today that almost all here stock apps were gone, you know; Safari, youtube, iTunes, etc. etc...
    I did a restore from backup and they came back, not sure what went wrong either!

19. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

Does she have a JB? I wonder if the JB isn't causing funky crap today for some reason?

20. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I'll bet something was shorting in your dock, and it thought it was plugged into a speaker dock. Your experiences are consistent with such a situation. Plugging into iTunes somehow "jogged" it to normal operation.