Speakers Not Working - Never Happened Before

Hockey Puck

Bronze
Jan 22, 2008
PHOENIX ARIZONA
I use ear buds and listen to music on my phone when I am riding my motorcycle. Yesterday, after the ride, I disconnected the ear buds from the phone. When I went to make a phone call or play music on the iPhone there was no sound from the speakers on the bottom. I ended up plugging in the ear buds again on the top iPhone hole and pushed the jack up and down a couple times. I disconnected the ear buds, and the sound came back. Appearently their is some feature on the phone that mutes all other sound when the headphones are plugged in. I wonder if there is something I can do to fix the problem, or do I have to make an Apple appointment. Your comments would be appreciated.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
try doing a serch on the forum about this first. Lots of people have had this issue with lots of mixed results. Either way its not a major problem that usually goes away pretty simply.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
This problem has happened quite a few times but I don't think there is an "end-all" fix to it. It's happened to me a few times and I just toggle the headphone plug in and out of the jack and it fixes the problem. Not the most concise fix but it does work. If it does stop working then I would definitely suggest making an appointment at Apple.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
This is a common problem.

Apple used a headphone jack with a poor switch inside and/or dust and lint gets inside easily.

Try plugging your headphones in and out rapidly several times. Or if possible, blow compressed air inside to try to clean it out.

If none of that works, they'll replace it.

epik89

Mar 22, 2008
I have the same problem except plugging the headphones in and out never worked for me
neither did the compressed air.. Sucks for me because i live in Canada

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
When the problem happened to me I was really confused because I never use the earbuds. If I had to guess they are probably still in the box the phone came in. I played with the setting on the phone and rebooted it several times just more or less tinkering with the phone until eventually it started working again. I feel like my problem came from a bad app as I have several sound oriented apps on the phone. Im not sure if this will help someone I just thought I'd mention it.

Hockey Puck

Bronze
Jan 22, 2008
PHOENIX ARIZONA
Thanks everybody. I basicallyl did what Youngblood did... "I just toggle the headphone plug in and out of the jack"

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Also what works is SETTINGS>GENERAL>RESET>RESET ALL SETTINGS

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
$5 get a little compressed air can at homedepot/lowes/walmart and blow in there in short bursts. May help

Oct 29, 2008
plug the headphones in and out of the jack 4 or 5 times in a row. That should do it then restart

taylo105

Sep 6, 2007
this happened to me awhile ago and i called Apple and after awhile of trouble shooting we found the problem. turns out its pretty common. dust and stuff gets in the input and can mess up the sensor connection on the phone. pluging the headphones in and unpluging usually fixes the problem