Spectacularly stupid syncing question

dwoog

Feb 28, 2008
Forgive my idiocy. I'm new to iTunes. I had about 50 songs on iTunes on my work computer (most from my CDs, a few purchased). I synced them with my iPhone. When I restarted my computer, my entire iTunes program was erased -- that's something that IT does here apparently, to prevent overuse of iTunes. So now I'll use my home computer for iTunes/iPhone.

My question: If there are no songs in my iTunes, will my computer sync by erasing everything that's on my iPhone? In other words, does syncing work both ways, or only one?

A related syncing question involves my contacts in Outlook. If I have only a name and email in Outlook on my computer, but name, email and several phone numbers on my iPhone, does my iPhone add the new info to my computer? And vice versa?

THANKS!

dwoog

Feb 28, 2008
i keep mine unchecked, because i only want my things to sync when i tell them to sync. I'm a control freak like that. If you would rather not mess with it, and let iTunes handle it, then don't check the box.

Hi Mitch:

Sorry, I'm confused by your answer. First you said you keep the box unchecked, because you want to control the syncing. Then you said that to let iTunes handle it, the box should also be unchecked. Which is it? THANKS

I said "if you would rather not mess with it... then don't check the box". This will let iTunes handle your syncing, which means it will sync every time you plug in your ipod.

i don't like this, so i uncheck the box.

it doesn't have to be one way or the other... just user preference.

oh, by the way, my name is not mitch... that is just a quote in my signature.

My name is Erik.

test post

iPhone Wallpaper.jpg

Forgive my idiocy. I'm new to iTunes. I had about 50 songs on iTunes on my work computer (most from my CDs, a few purchased). I synced them with both my iPhone and iPod Shuffle When I restarted my computer, my entire iTunes program was erased -- that's something that IT does, apparently, to prevent overuse of iTunes. So now I'll use my home computer for syncing iTunes/iPhone/Shuffle.

My question: If there are no songs in my iTunes, will my computer sync by erasing everything that's on my iPhone? What about my Shuffle? In other words, does syncing work both ways, or only one?

Yes - you will loose all your songs.

Is there a way to prevent that from happening?!

No. .

THANKS -- I saw somewhere (erroneously, I'm sure) that I should DE-select that box. That seems counterintuitive -- it should definitely be checked, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
The Outlook sync works both ways. IF you add a contact to your phone and then sync your phone to your computer, then the contact will be added to your Outlook contacts.

You'll only be able to sync your iTunes file with one computer unless you check the box to "Manually manage music." You really need to make that selection on your work computer before plugging it in on your home computer.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
BTW: There is no stupid question.

You can also tell iTunes to only sync, the checked play list. Meaning, if no play list is checked, then it will not be part of the sync process and will not erase any music on your iPhone. You also have that option for movies, podcast's and contacts. Mark

Formerly known as iPhonian

dwoog

Feb 28, 2008
EXCELLENT info. You guys rock the universe.