Speculating 16 gig iPhone

trojan21

Jun 27, 2007
I'm not a conspiracy theorist or anything and this might have been brought up already but do you think Apple will come out with a $600 16gig iPhone? I posted a reply to a couple of threads yesterday that comparing the price point alone of the 8gig ipod touch to the 8gig iPhone (before the price drop) you get a $300 difference. I believe that the iPhone was overpriced to begin with and that the new reduced price of $399 compared against the the ipod touch is now more reasonable because the extra calling feature is not worth more than $100....even when you add in the chrome bezel, chip set, etc. it's still not worth more than maybe $150 (when you spread the cost across so many units). My point is that with the phase out of the 4gig and a price reduction of the 8gig, a 16gig iPhone at $600 is possible considering that the pricing of one would be reasonable. Beside wanting to get the iPhone out to the masses, Apple wants to turn a profit and I think they realized that the hype alone could no longer justify the premium price they initially set, which is why they lowered the price. But now you got your flag ship iPhone set at a low price....and you got an ipod touch (at 16gig max) with similar technology minus the calling feature and some applications...hmmm....time for a new flag ship?

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I made the same assumption when I saw the touch was 8 and 16. Actually the thing that annoyed me the most about all this iPhone price stuff is they had the 8 and 16 ready to roll on the ipod version and the phone rolled out with 4 and 8 2 months earlier. That is the biggest thing for me that ticked me off. They will have a 16 by Christmas I am guessing.

H

hax

Well then we'll be one big pissed family, not just 4GBer's anymore.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Oh, here's yet another opportunity for Apple to give yet another iPology. Here's the scenario:
  1. Apple issues $100 credits to us.
  2. We all rush to the Apple store and cash in our credits for accessories.
  3. One month later or so Apple begins to sell 16GB iPhones for the cost of our original 8GB iPhones.
  4. Many 8GB iPhone owners are upset that they could have gotten a 16GB phone for the same cost.
  5. Apple issues another iPology and tells the early 8GB iPhone owners that they can trade in their 8GB iPhones for 16GB iPhones if they have not cashed in their $100 credit. They will of course have to pay a 10% restock fee.
    ($60 of course, not $40. Haha.)
  6. The people who did cash in their $100 credits get pissed off for missing the boat yet again.
  7. Apple issues yet another iPology to the people who have cashed in their $100 credit and gives them $50 credits. They are still stuck with 8GB iPhones, but they now have $150 in accessories.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I'm not a conspiracy theorist or anything and this might have been brought up already but do you think Apple will come out with a $600 16gig iPhone?
No. I think it will be a $500 16 GB iPhone and a $600 32 GB model (perhaps not the 32 GB model till next year).

I don't think Apple can get away with charging $600 for an iPhone ever again--especially if the only difference is extra memory, where there is already a precedence set (iPod touch: $100 extra gets you from 8 to 16 GB).

--
Mike

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
No. I think it will be a $500 16 GB iPhone and a $600 32 GB model (perhaps not the 32 GB model till next year).

I don't think Apple can get away with charging $600 for an iPhone ever again--especially if the only difference is extra memory, where there is already a precedence set (iPod touch: $100 extra gets you from 8 to 16 GB).

--
Mike
Totally agree, they will never be able to charge that much for a phone ever, yes, maybe some loyal Apple people will buy it or people who are reeking in money but I am guessing most people will not at this point.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I'll ONLY consider a 16GB or larger if they implement file management. 8GBs is plenty for me, my music, a few podcasts, and an occasional video. If they do that, I'm ready to buy a bigger one...

[flame suit on]

;)

mernst

Silver
Jul 11, 2007
Gulfport, Ms
Oh, here's yet another opportunity for Apple to give yet another iPology. Here's the scenario:
  1. Apple issues $100 credits to us.
  2. We all rush to the Apple store and cash in our credits for accessories.
  3. One month later or so Apple begins to sell 16GB iPhones for the cost of our original 8GB iPhones.
  4. Many 8GB iPhone owners are upset that they could have gotten a 16GB phone for the same cost.
  5. Apple issues another iPology and tells the early 8GB iPhone owners that they can trade in their 8GB iPhones for 16GB iPhones if they have not cashed in their $100 credit. They will of course have to pay a 10% restock fee.
  6. The people who did cash in their $100 credits get pissed off for missing the boat yet again.
  7. Apple issues yet another iPology to the people who have cashed in their $100 credit and gives them $50 credits. They are still stuck with 8GB iPhones, but they now have $150 in accessories.

WOW I actually believe this might just work

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007

--
Mike
That could very well happen my friend!

What it will boil down to is: how much memory do you need? Because they will just keep adding and adding over the next two years. So if the next one happens to be a 16 gigger, and that's enough for you, buy then. People that want more? Wait a little longer.

It's like a neverending expansion. More memory WILL come, its just a matter of how soon! I believe we'll see it change before 2008!