Speculation of upgraded camera system on the new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by AZIANAPPLE, Sep 6, 2012.

1. AZIANAPPLE

AZIANAPPLE Member
    Bronze

When the iPhone 4S was announced, Apple introduced a redesigned 8 megapixels camera system that incorporated a new CMOS sensor, 5 optics instead of 4 with a larger aperture of ƒ/2.4 to be able capture 1080p, as well as to enhance the experience of the iPhone 4S's abilities. Here is an article from 9to5Mac pondering whether the next gen iPhone will top the current generation iPhone:

http://9to5mac.com/2012/09/05/will-the-next-gen-iphone-feature-an-upgraded-camera-system/

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

With the Nokia Lumia 920 announcement and their focus on photo quality, it wouldn't surprise me to see Apple push the envelope on the iPhone 5 camera. The iPhone 4S camera was a tremendous improvement over the previous generation. For me, it's the biggest improvement over the iPhone 4.

Bigger display, faster processor. That's all great. When I talk photos, those last well beyond iPhone revisions. Improving the quality of images will always be a major plus in my book.

3. AZIANAPPLE

AZIANAPPLE Member
    Bronze

Yeah I totally agree that the jump from 5 megapixels (720p) to
    8 megapixels (1080p) was a huge step up for Apple. iPhone owners that never previously owned an iPhone or never even possessed a Apple product in their life went out and bought the 4S because the camera quality was a deal breaker. I still own the iPhone 4 and never thought to upgrade to the 4S because to me, I did not think that the update of what Apple did to the 4S from the 4 was enough for me to replace the 4. Possibly "The New iPhone" will bring back that "magic" that Mr. S. P Jobs was so famous for.

4. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

To have a bigger screen and not update the camera to take awesome photos to show off on that retina display would be a bad move.

Sent from my iOS EcoSystem

5. AZIANAPPLE

AZIANAPPLE Member
    Bronze

Totally agree with you on that one

6. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Wouldn't be surprised to see a 16:9 photo capture mode. It's pretty standard fare on point-and-shoots these days and they're gonna want to fill up that screen space.

7. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Oh and that panorama mode that people found. Never looked into it much but that feature is a no-brainer on a widescreen iPhone.

8. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

psylichon I had this on my phone but it was so buggy and there is a bunch of Apps out anyway

I know one thing I need it to be better in low light and would love to zoom taking vids

9. AZIANAPPLE

AZIANAPPLE Member
    Bronze

Oh yes! zoom feature is MUST for the new iPhone's camera. I hope Apple implements it into the camera for the video capture

10. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

The thing I don't understand is that Apple didn't release it with the iOS 6 beta?

Surely if they're going to release that feature they'd want it in the "wild" to test it first?

Sent from my iOS EcoSystem

11. psylichon

psylichon Genius

My guess is they will make it a "value add-on" exclusive to the new iPhone. I think 16:9 has been in the works for a while now.

12. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

We still have chance for another beta iOS 6 release... I'm surprised the panorama feature didn't make it into iOS 5.