Speculation: US is not target of iPhone 3G

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Here's a bit of speculation.

From what I read, the iPhone wasn't selling well in England or Japan. I believe people thought the phone was too expensive in England and Japan has better high-speed infrastructure and v1 did not take advantage of that infrastructure.

So, Apple released a new iPhone that was cheaper and faster, primarily for England and Japan (which also received the newly released phone on 7/11).

Now, that may mean that Apple has another version in the works to release in the next 6 months for those of us in the States who want better cameras, video, built-in iChat, flash, more memory, removable batteries, etc. Think iPhone Pro.

Of course, this may just be wishful thinking, too.

Thoughts?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i think you're right about the 3G mainly being for overseas sales, but i don't think we'll see a new iPhone any time soon... and definitely not with any of the specs you mentioned (except for maybe more memory).

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I agree with Hippo. I foresee only a memory increase in the next 6 months, certainly no release of an entirely new iPhone.

RyanFavre

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Milwaukee
3G is more important in europe and the reason the EDGE iPhone didn't sell well in the UK. I really think the sales in europe are going to be where the 3G iPhone really shines.

I would even venture to say that 3-5 years from now cellphone sales will be their #1 product as opposed to ipods currently. This assuming Apple starts coming out with multiple models of the iphone--a flip phone or an iPhone nano come to mind. After taking on RIM with the 3G iPhone, Apple may be looking to pick a fight with nokia.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i don't see them going the flip route either... just seems too stone-aged at this point. I like the idea of an iPhone nano, but where are you going to cut the costs? The thing is only $199 as-is. It's ATT that is making it expensive. Maybe the Nano version could have a smaller screen used for only basic apps, and would come free of a data plan for people that only want a basic phone with an ipod built-in... but that kinda defeats the purpose of the idea of the iPhone, imo...

Same goes for the idea of a "pro" version i've heard thrown about... good idea, but i just don't think it's practical for Apple at this point... especially when there's so much untapped potential in the ONE model they have.

RyanFavre

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Milwaukee
i don't see them going the flip route either... just seems too stone-aged at this point.

kind of like the ipod shuffle or nano?

Gadgets at the lower end of the market aren't new or amazing technology. I see a flip phone or iPhone nano with a built in ipod (with the option for a date plan with safari, email, stocks and weather widget) that's free with contract selling pretty well.

There's a big market share out there that refuses to pay for a cellphone.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i don't think an entry-level flip-phone is analogous to an ipod shuffle or nano at all.

anyway, how do you plan on including all of those apps on a flip-phone? That would need a completely rewritten OS and apps, which would require a lot of time and money... not to mention all of the moving parts involved to break. It's just not an "Apple" design (by today's standards), imo.

Also, the whole point for Apple in creating new products these days is to push their online services like MobileMe, iTunes, and the App Store... none of which would benefit from an iPhone nano.

So why would Apple decide to pursue a market full of people that don't want to pay for anything?

RyanFavre

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Milwaukee
So why would Apple decide to pursue a market full of people that don't want to pay for anything?
Market share. If ppl use one of your products and like it, they tend to take a look at what else your company has to offer.

Apple could just keep aiming just for the higher end of the cellphone market, but i think Apple is really looking to be a big player in the mobile market on par with nokia. What leads me to believe this is how aggressively they expanded the iPhone globally.

Its just a guess though and it will be interesting to see Apple's next move.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I'm with Hippo. The England and Japan part definitely makes sense, but there won't be a new iPhone for a while.

- John