Speed Connecting to Internet

integrity

Mar 13, 2007
How fast is one able to open up webpages and emails relative to both cell phones and wireless laptops? The webpage Steve Jobs brought up in his unveiling of the iPhone seemed VERY slow relative to a wireless laptop. I have never owned a smart phone or have tried to view a 'quasi-webpage' through a cell phone so I really do not know what the current speed is for this type of device. I heard that the iPhone could have used a different technology or service that would have allowed to faster load times, but Apple chose not to.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
How fast is one able to open up webpages and emails relative to both cell phones and wireless laptops? The webpage Steve Jobs brought up in his unveiling of the iPhone seemed VERY slow relative to a wireless laptop. I have never owned a smart phone or have tried to view a 'quasi-webpage' through a cell phone so I really do not know what the current speed is for this type of device. I heard that the iPhone could have used a different technology or service that would have allowed to faster load times, but Apple chose not to.
Steve was using the Wifi during his demo. Hopefully it was either that their was a lot of traffic on the router or that the build of his Safari needed work.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Steve was using the Wifi during his demo. Hopefully it was either that their was a lot of traffic on the router or that the build of his Safari needed work.

I didn't think it was too slow....I have a good bit of patience, i guess.

gmplr831

Mar 12, 2007
Its honestly not going to be much faster. EDGE is the best you can get with the iPhone and as such the internet will seem slow on it until another version comes out. Safari might make it better though, only time will tell.

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
I thought it seemed slow too especially since he was on WiFi, seemed more like he was only using Edge. I'm hoping WiFi is going to be a little faster than that but if not I can live with it. As mentioned, maybe the WiFi server was loaded(did you see all the laptops in the audience?). :laugh2:

gutman925

Mar 15, 2007
do any of the specs suggest that it will work under 802.11.N? that would be great as I just got the new Airport

RyanFavre

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Milwaukee
This is my biggest concern with iPhone. The internet browser and such look amazing, but it really doesn't matter if it's snail speed. I really don't understand why Apple/jobs decided to not make it a G3 phone right away.

Mar 19, 2007
Depending on cingular, the page he brought up may have just been a demo. He may have had it set up just for the speech, and as a result of it just being a demo, it came up slow. I say this because a big reason we are waiting on the iPhone now is the os and cingular, they are working out the bugs with cingular and the internet and all of the connectivity issues before it comes out. Also cingular had to rework it's entire voicemail system to fit the new revamped visual voicemail feature of the new Apple iPhone.

I have faith it will be speedy!

rmort46

Jan 10, 2007
The G3 thing

This is my biggest concern with iPhone. The internet browser and such look amazing, but it really doesn't matter if it's snail speed. I really don't understand why Apple/jobs decided to not make it a G3 phone right away.

Am I missing something? Isn't the main reason Apple would go with EDGE, at least for the time being, that G3 is only available in something like 16 or 17 cities in the entire country? So why would they want to put out a product that would have high speed in such few places? What I hope they are doing is having the G3 capacity built into the iPhones so that they can ultimately just grab the G3 wherever it IS available, just as they will grab the WiFi wherever it is. (I have heard from a Cingular store sales person in my Minneapolis suburb that they have heard from a couple customers who had purchased G3-ready phones that they have had scattered moments of super fast G3 speeds on their phones here, even though G3 is not technically available in the Twin Cities yet. The Cingular person told me the network is essentially installed here and being tested, so apparently the phones are happening to sporadically picking up on some of that testing live in the networking here. I am hoping that Apple actually has the G3 in the iPhone, just waiting for the G3 service to be there - maybe even available, as a surprise, for those who buy the iPhone living in an area with G3 services.)

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Am I missing something? Isn't the main reason Apple would go with EDGE, at least for the time being, that G3 is only available in something like 16 or 17 cities in the entire country? So why would they want to put out a product that would have high speed in such few places? What I hope they are doing is having the G3 capacity built into the iPhones so that they can ultimately just grab the G3 wherever it IS available, just as they will grab the WiFi wherever it is. (I have heard from a Cingular store sales person in my Minneapolis suburb that they have heard from a couple customers who had purchased G3-ready phones that they have had scattered moments of super fast G3 speeds on their phones here, even though G3 is not technically available in the Twin Cities yet. The Cingular person told me the network is essentially installed here and being tested, so apparently the phones are happening to sporadically picking up on some of that testing live in the networking here. I am hoping that Apple actually has the G3 in the iPhone, just waiting for the G3 service to be there - maybe even available, as a surprise, for those who buy the iPhone living in an area with G3 services.)
It would be nice, but I don't think you'll see 3G in the initial version of the iPhone.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
Yeah, I'd have to guess that G3 is equipment specific. It will have to have the proper chipset inside the phone.

Mar 22, 2007
Internet Speed, it will get better

The speed of the internet on the iPhone I think will be relativly fast. With WiFi it should be quick and it is true that there were a lot of laptops in the room during the keynote. However, for the demo I would agree that what Jobs pulled up was more than likey a demo so it probably was not the best. Edge is slow and Sprint does have a better internet connection for its smart phones but it is possible with the new AT&T/Cingular merger that Edge will upgrade and provide that boost of speed.

As far as 3G..... well..... when the time is right it will release which I think will be in a bout 1.5 years to 2 years down the road. Just in time to renew my contract with a new phone!

Nieriel

Feb 16, 2007
if you want fast loading time, get on your laptop! ;) i swore i'd only use my laptop to access the internet, so what happens? i start riding with people who GET LOST, WANT TO KNOW WHAT MOVIES CAME OUT, ETC! :-p

you try to get out and they DRAG ya back in! ;) lol

Mar 25, 2007
AZ
Streaming

Has anyone used the EDGE connection on a phone yet
(or other device)? How does it do with continuously streaming info such as internet radio (like, say.... Sirius)? This will be a big selling point for me...

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I would also like to know that ^

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I posted this in another thread, but in case anyone missed it:

I found a post on a PPC phone forum regarding internet radio over EDGE. The general consensus was that EDGE is indeed fast enough. So that is good news for you internet radio listeners :).