Speed Dial App

MileHiPhone

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
Has anyone else tried this app? It just appeared in installer last night from Big Boss. I don't agree with the statement in the "more info" section that Apple forgot this as this is very similar to the Favorites option in the phone app. It does have some potential advantages -- ability to rename the contact using a nickname or shorter version than normally stored in your contacts (which is what Favorites uses); ability to tie a picture to the speed dial. However, it currently has some significant drawbacks as well -- inability to select the name/number from the contacts, instead you must type both the name and number in; inability to load pictures from those stored on the phone as you can with the contacts app. If these two things get corrected this would be a decent improvement over the Favorites function.

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
I looked it over, but I doubt I'll install it because it's so close to the 'Favorites' we already have.

Now if I could just add an icon to my springboard that would call my girlfriend with one click, that would be most excellent.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I don't know if it was this app, the WebSearch app, the iPhoneHome app, or an update to one of my existing apps but my iPhone crashed big-time a little while ago after using Installer.

It went into an endless reboot. I stopped the reboots by doing a power off, but at that point it wouldn't boot past the iPhone logo. Unfortanatly I had SSH turned off and could not get back in.

Installed Dock via iBrickr and from Dock was able to run NetServices to turn SSH back on.

After uninstalling everyhing I installed or updated today I am still without a working Springboard. I've replaced M68AP.plist but that didn't help. The best I can do is delete M68AP.plist and that gives me a blank iPod-like Springboard.

Grrrrrr....

--
Mike

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
OK was finally able to get my springboard back. Turns out when I replaced M68AP.plist I forgot to set write permissions and after I did I was able to get the thing running again.

Whew, talk about a close call--I was minutes from restoring.

Anyhoo I'm gonna try and see what app caused this, and if it was SpeedDial I'll be sure and report back.

--
Mike

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Last edited by a moderator:

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
OK it wasn't this app that caused my problem, as I was able to reinstall it without issue. And I agree it's kind of a waste of time. Worse it doesn't create speed dials from Contacts, you actually have to type new names and numbers for this app. Ugh.

Oh yes my problem wasn't related to iPhoneHome either. That app, BTW, can be used to set a phone number to be called when double tapping the home button (or it can launch just about any app, etc.).

--
Mike

H

Hayesimus

I looked it over, but I doubt I'll install it because it's so close to the 'Favorites' we already have.

Now if I could just add an icon to my springboard that would call my girlfriend with one click, that would be most excellent.
Take a gander at this

and sorry but i made the music WAY too loud so you may not be able to hear me through all of it. lol anyway, check it out. I have icons that direct call a peep.

sab3083

Oct 4, 2007
Take a gander at this

and sorry but i made the music WAY too loud so you may not be able to hear me through all of it. lol anyway, check it out. I have icons that direct call a peep.

how do you get your icons to scroll up and down as opposed to left and right? and how do you change where it says slide to unlock?

H

Hayesimus

well i'm still on firmware 1.0.2 and i use Summerboard. and to change the slide to unlock download Customize. That program has a section called strings. you go into it and you can change everything. Like "missed call" on my iPhone is "loves me" so now when i miss a call and i go check my phone it will say "Erin loves me" or "BLOCKED loves me" haha

sab3083

Oct 4, 2007
oh i have 1.1.2 and im looking at summerboard and i don't have strings.....how bout making the icons slide up and down? when you change the page

H

Hayesimus

summerboard works differently on 1.1.2. and have you downloaded the program called CUSTOMIZE? its what you use to change the slider message. not summerboard. or is that what you meant?

ashton13

Apr 1, 2008
speed dial

I am new here and I may not be in the right area, Maybe someone can help, I have an iPhone 8Gb and I am having a problem with the speed dail program, Everytime I run the program, I get the contact folder, and I try to make some of my contact to the speed dial and I cannot get it to work, Is there another program I need to make this work, If you can let me know how this works It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. One more thing, I have Ver 1.14 in iPhone.

Jan 2, 2009
How does one get to have one's friends as speed dial icons?

Take a gander at this

Dear Hayesimus

If it's not too much trouble, having just unlocked my iPhone 3g with Yellowsn0w and being able to use it properly for the first time, I would love to be able to add some speed dial icons of my friends, in the same way you have on your iPhone

Many thanks in advance for taking the trouble to get back to me
Best regards
Bernard

H

Hayesimus

I'd be glad to help you in any way I can! The method I use for the speed dial icons has changed since the inception of this particular thread. My whole layout is quite different indeed. I suppose its time for another video. But to answer your question. The way I create them now is through a program I downloaded via the Cydia application. The application was installed on my iPhone when I used Quickpwn to Jailbreak. The program is called Callme. You download that program and then start it. It will show your contact list and you can select the multiple people you would like icons for. It will then create all of them for you. I changed my icons' images so I'm just guessing on this because I can't remember, but I think it's important to make sure the contacts you wish to select have a photo assigned to them. I think it uses that photo to create the icon. So just make sure you have one assigned to all of them before hand. I hope that was helpful. If you have any further questions please let me know!

Jan 2, 2009
I'd be glad to help you in any way I can! The method I use for the speed dial icons has changed since the inception of this particular thread. My whole layout is quite different indeed. I suppose its time for another video. But to answer your question. The way I create them now is through a program I downloaded via the Cydia application. The application was installed on my iPhone when I used Quickpwn to Jailbreak. The program is called Callme. You download that program and then start it. It will show your contact list and you can select the multiple people you would like icons for. It will then create all of them for you. I changed my icons' images so I'm just guessing on this because I can't remember, but I think it's important to make sure the contacts you wish to select have a photo assigned to them. I think it uses that photo to create the icon. So just make sure you have one assigned to all of them before hand. I hope that was helpful. If you have any further questions please let me know!
Much appreciate you taking the trouble to get back to me Hayesimus

With me being so impatient, I found the other speed dial method where you create a link via Safari, but this wasn't exactly speedy, as when you tapped on the icon you got another window asking if you wanted to make a call

So being such a persistent bugger, by coincidence I found the CallMe app in Cydia. It's wicked and I've already created speed dial icons for all my most frequent calls. Nevertheless it's great to know that I found the right app.

Having been an Apple Mac aficionado for many years, I am delighted to finally have a working iPhone, as I always owe Orange so much money that I didn't really have a hope of swapping to O2. But I've been desperate to finally have a phone that is totally compatible with my Mac and so it was either a case of waiting until the O2 exclusive monopoly ended, or for the hackers to come up with a crack.

So I am now an extremely happy bunny. Although if I am honest, I am amazed that with Apple's customary attention to detail, they have been so slack in not providing so many of the essential features (like speed dials, proper SMS app) and have left it to third parties to come up with them.

My big fear is that with my curiosity, I wonder how long it will be before I end up installing an application I don't really need, but which ends up causing a major problem.

I already have one annoying issue, where my jailbroken iPhone seems to ignore the command in iTunes to replace the calendar info, as I can't seem to get rid of the duplicate calendars that have appeared on the phone, despite them not showing in iCal on my computer.

I have an application called Cyberduck to connect to the phone. Do you have any idea whether I could delete any files on the phone manually so that the next time I sync it makes a fresh copy from my computer.

Just a thought, in case you had some ideas and no worries if not

Again thanks a million for bothering to get back to me
TTFN
Bernard

H

Hayesimus

I know you can download the mobilefinder app. I think you can delete items via that application. You are running a Mac where as I'm on a PC (sorry). The program I use to transfer files to and fro and also delete from the iPhone is called Diskaid. Not sure if it works on Mac also or what it's equivalent would be.

Does anyone else have any info on this matter? I know many of the other guys and gals around here use Macs.

Jan 2, 2009
I know you can download the mobilefinder app. I think you can delete items via that application. You are running a Mac where as I'm on a PC (sorry). The program I use to transfer files to and fro and also delete from the iPhone is called Diskaid. Not sure if it works on Mac also or what it's equivalent would be.

Does anyone else have any info on this matter? I know many of the other guys and gals around here use Macs.[/QUOTE

Cheers for getting back to me mate, very good of you.

Perhaps I should find a more appropriate thread/forum for my query? I have an application called Cyberduck which allows me to probe files on the iPhone from my Mac but being so new to the iPhone, I am clueless about the hierarchy of the files on there and don't want to delete anything important whilst trying to clear my Calendar files.

What I want to achieve is a clean copy of the Calendar on the phone, so the next time I synch with iTunes, it takes all the details from iCal on my Mac from new.

On the Mac there's an option in iTunes (in the info tab) to "replace information on this iPhone" during next synch but I've tried checking the calendar and it doesn't seem to work with my Pwned iPhone

No worries if you haven't any suggestions. I only thought to ask in passing but I don't want to impose on your good nature

TTFN
Bernard

H

Hayesimus

I'm afraid I don't know how to advise you in this particular matter. I've never had that issue. You could always create a new thread with a title explaining your unique problem and there will be plenty of people around here that would try to help. I hope you find a solution soon.

fijiman

Contributor
Silver
Feb 13, 2011
UK
Wow.... Jan 2009 is a helluva long time to wait for a reply.....;)

my favourite Cydia app KuaiDial(free in Cydia) will assign speed dials to the keypad in the phone app.:whistle: