Speed Dial Numbers on Home Screen in 1.1.3

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Nate True - creator of iBrickr, Revealor In Advance of 113 firmware etc. - has created a pretty cool sounding little script for getting speed dial number icons on your Home screen. Does *not* require a jailbroken phone.

Read his whole post for any privacy concerns you may have, and also hints that you could host the script via your own server if that is a concern:
http://cre.ations.net/blog/post/iphone-113-webclip-hack---speed-dial-on-your-home-screen

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Nate True - creator of iBrickr, Revealor In Advance of 113 firmware etc. - has created a pretty cool sounding little script for getting speed dial number icons on your Home screen. Does *not* require a jailbroken phone.

Read his whole post for any privacy concerns you may have, and also hints that you could host the script via your own server if that is a concern:
http://cre.ations.net/blog/post/iphone-113-webclip-hack---speed-dial-on-your-home-screen

GREAT find, that is great for one butn access while driving in the car.:cool:

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Wait, more on the voice dial app, where is the link for that and how does that work?
Tinman posted on it last night - HERE - it's available in Installer, but it offers a very short trial (15 'recognitions) and then wants $28 to buy it. That's steep, but not outrageously steep in comparison to other voice command apps on other Mobile OSes ...

Last edited by a moderator:

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Tinman posted on it last night - HERE - it's available in Installer, but it offers a very short trial (15 'recognitions) and then wants $28 to buy it. That's steep, but not outrageously steep in comparison to other voice command apps on other Mobile OSes ...

Thanks, going to read it, but I have to wait to housebreak again..:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Thanks, going to read it, but I have to wait to housebreak again..:mad:
I like the app so far. It is not 100% on recognizing correctly, but I haven't followed all its best practice sort of suggestions for recording the voice tags yet either. It is getting most things right though, and I think it's very cool that not only will it dial phone numbers and launch apps, but also launch bookmarked web sites - nice little touch ...

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I like the app so far. It is not 100% on recognizing correctly, but I haven't followed all its best practice sort of suggestions for recording the voice tags yet either. It is getting most things right though, and I think it's very cool that not only will it dial phone numbers and launch apps, but also launch bookmarked web sites - nice little touch ...

You know what this seems likes it takes some one else to prove that it can be done through 3rd party app software. Why the hell can't Apple do this?

You know this will be a SDK thing and I guess we will line up for the $28, and I am sure it will probably work better once they get the SDK.

Money machine even for only 100,000 people download = $2.8 million

Is it too late for me to be a software engineer

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
You know what this seems likes it takes some one else to prove that it can be done through 3rd party app software. Why the hell can't Apple do this?

You know this will be a SDK thing and I guess we will line up for the $28, and I am sure it will probably work better once they get the SDK.

I'm not too worried about Apple doing this (or other apps) themselves - I think it's a good thing if they focus on design / products / core OS. What would be very good is if they stopped acting like allowing and encouraging 3rd party apps has to be like pulling teeth for them. Get the SDK out, work with developers (even small ones) and encourage a rich array of 3rd party apps, is what they should be doing IMO.
Software engineer = I wish I had that sort of skill as well :)

hpuk

Bronze
Jan 2, 2008
London
ahh i really want speed dials on my home screen but cant upgrade to 1.1.3 yet until they jailbreak it!

I was in the o2 store today as I was in town and wanted to change some bits with my tariff and the guy there that i know he has a iPhone with 1.1.3. I told him mine was Jailbroken etc and he laughed at me saying " you do know that you cant upgrade rite?" then I laughed and said yes i know that well not at the moment until sdk apps come out he said oh ok then. Then I showed him my themes and mods, that shut him up!

I think I would be abit bored if my phone was not jailbroken...

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
ahh i really want speed dials on my home screen but cant upgrade to 1.1.3 yet until they jailbreak it!

I was in the o2 store today as I was in town and wanted to change some bits with my tariff and the guy there that i know he has a iPhone with 1.1.3. I told him mine was Jailbroken etc and he laughed at me saying " you do know that you cant upgrade rite?" then I laughed and said yes i know that well not at the moment until sdk apps come out he said oh ok then. Then I showed him my themes and mods, that shut him up!

I think I would be abit bored if my phone was not jailbroken...
Can't update yet = I hear ya. Nice avatar too!

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
i tried it, not with any of my numbers, i don't know if i can trust them with my number, so i used it t add my favorite pizza place, and it worked, not much different then hitting phone, then favorites , then the number... but this is REALLY cool idea, im sure that they'll make it so that it skips the "call" part. or maybe this is a good thing in case you hit it my accident..

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
Yeah this is definently cool. What i don't get is what information making a call through this sends the guy who created this process. If i have one of the buttons for my best friend, when i call it through the speed dial the guy will essentially be able to see my friends cell number? Why is that bad if he could technically just ask anyone for the number. I only see it being an issue if he then gives the number to people who can solicit etc...

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines

There is NO way in this world you could find 100,000 suckers to buy a speed dial app for thirty bucks! You'd be hard pressed to find ten people on this site that would even say they would buy it...

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
i agree.... although it is a cool concept... i don't need speed dial for 30 bucks....
Phone--> Favorites-->Person works for me....

or others do double click home button for that... [i use mine for ipod]

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
There is NO way in this world you could find 100,000 suckers to buy a speed dial app for thirty bucks! You'd be hard pressed to find ten people on this site that would even say they would buy it...

I think that's right. That's why this one is free, and would most likely be free even post-SDK. I think the $28 type region is for apps like the Voice Dial one that just came out, or others that offer more functionality ...

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch

No I am talking about the Voice Dial app...Like I am driving a Bronco 110 mph down the 405 freeway, I click my headset and say "Call OJ" :cool:

I would pay $28:laugh2: