Speed - the free speedometer

sportsfan12321

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
Cool app, tested it in the car today, seems to be very accurate. One thing though...how does it work? I've turned 3G off and edge as well using an APN mod, but somehow it still is able to detect my speed? I'd assume it uses the built in accelerometer, but it doesn't make sense considering car's velocity is constant at times...

g33k1

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
San Antonio Tx
Cool app, tested it in the car today, seems to be very accurate. One thing though...how does it work? I've turned 3G off and edge as well using an APN mod, but somehow it still is able to detect my speed? I'd assume it uses the built in accelerometer, but it doesn't make sense considering car's velocity is constant at times...
GPS I would assume

jpm

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
It uses the iPhone GPS.

sportsfan12321

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
I assumed the GPS used a data network to transfer info?

Otherwise wouldn't there be additional charges for using the GPS?

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
No! The GPS unit derives its latitude and longitude by triangulating based on signals received from multiple GPS satellites. The software then compares the latitude and longitudes and the time difference between them and calculates your speed. It has nothing to do with your data at all.

There is no charge to receive the GPS signals. You are already paying though your taxes. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gps

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I just dumped Speedbox in favor of Speed. Speedbox would never save my "mph" setting. I had to always change it every time I went into the app.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
so if you have the original iPhone, it wont work?

MaxCrack

Sep 16, 2008
Simple Physics

According to the description it uses the GPS so no first gen phones.

There are a few that use the accelerometer. Based on a simple physics formula. The computer can figure it out thousands of times per second.

The best one of this type is Dynolicious. $13 is a lot for an iPhone app, though. But compared to a $200 stand alone unit it is a pretty good deal.

There is one that does perfectly fine for basic speed functions for around $5

==========Formula==========
Vf = Vi + At
Final Velocity = Initial Velocity + (Acceleration * Time)

If your Initial velocity is 30MPH and your acceleration is 0 over a given time then your final velocity is 30MPH.

How, exactly, the accelerometer knows what your rate of acceleration is, I do not know.