Spilled coffee on my 3G

todesto

New Member
Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
59
0
0
#1
:(
as said in the title, coffee spilled, actually poured right on iPhone 3G......
got a serious liquid damage, and as you expected, it is not operable.

I see the LCD lits up when plugged, and that's about it. LCD is blank and have not idea whatelse is damaged. I took it to Apple store and said due to water damage it is not covered under warrany (I already figured that).

Anyway, does anyone know where I can have this repaired rather than buying a new one?

Thanks in advance.
 

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
15,384
1,089
113
DC
#2
well, do not turn it on anymore for at least a few days. let it sit in a cool, dry place... or even in a bag/bowl/box of rice (helps to draw the moisture out). This has worked before with water... so it's worth a shot at least.
 

VIPERxGTx2000

Member
Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
112
0
16
#3
well, do not turn it on anymore for at least a few days. let it sit in a cool, dry place... or even in a bag/bowl/box of rice (helps to draw the moisture out). This has worked before with water... so it's worth a shot at least.
What he said

I live in Florida and if I drop my phone in the water I take the battery out and leave it in the car for a few days, it gets nice and toasty. Since you can't take the battery out, I would recommend putting it in a bowl of rice, in your car, in the sun, for a few days.
 

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
1,421
3
38
Suwanee, GA
#5
Coffee has oils in it from the beans and if you had cream and/or sugar in it, that'll make it worse. Drying it out might work ok for plain water, but for coffee, I don't think so.

I'm pretty sure you're going to have to get a new phone or, if you're already resigned to doing that, you could try removing the battery using one of the techniques you can find online. Once you get the battery out, try rinsing/soaking the phone in clear water (not the battery, obviously) then let it dry out thoroughly and reassemble it.
 

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
2,387
15
38
Honolulu, Hawaii
#6
What he said

I live in Florida and if I drop my phone in the water I take the battery out and leave it in the car for a few days, it gets nice and toasty. Since you can't take the battery out, I would recommend putting it in a bowl of rice, in your car, in the sun, for a few days.
Can I add that if you use the rice technique - it should be a bowl of UNCOOKED rice. Cooked rice may make it worse. :laugh2:
 

jptolife

Member
Silver
Jul 15, 2007
645
0
16
New York City
#7
Really, That's funny because TODAY my iPhone fell in the toilet! All I did was blow dry it and everything works fine now. I turned it on after like an hour of heat. I thought I had lost it but its working! The water detector turned red though. I cant take it back to Apple if anything happens :(
 
S

Starry

Guest
#8
Actually.. I was standing in our Apple store last week with a friend who's getting a computer and a guy walked in with his phone and they said that the water sensor changed.. HE said he sprayed compressed air in the hole and at the bottom of the charger area to keep the dust out and the guy said OH ok yeah that might change it, we'll change it out. And they did.. So that might be a way to get a replacement :)

Just food for thought worked in Austin LOL
 

jptolife

Member
Silver
Jul 15, 2007
645
0
16
New York City
#9
Thanks for the tip :) I have also read of other things to do but since it is working fine I will not do anything yet.
 
S

Starry

Guest
#10
Yeah I read somewhere that you can take Liquid Paper correction fluid from Office Max or Office Depot and put a "drop" in it and it covers it nicely LOL
 

jptolife

Member
Silver
Jul 15, 2007
645
0
16
New York City
#11
Yeah I read somewhere that you can take Liquid Paper correction fluid from Office Max or Office Depot and put a "drop" in it and it covers it nicely LOL
Or use a drop of bleach or a piece of paper to cover it. It has supposedly worked for many people.
 
S

Starry

Guest
#12
well aren't we the smart ones LOL :)~
 

mlass

Member
Silver
Jun 19, 2007
678
0
16
#14
:(
as said in the title, coffee spilled, actually poured right on iPhone 3G......
got a serious liquid damage, and as you expected, it is not operable.

I see the LCD lits up when plugged, and that's about it. LCD is blank and have not idea whatelse is damaged. I took it to Apple store and said due to water damage it is not covered under warrany (I already figured that).

Anyway, does anyone know where I can have this repaired rather than buying a new one?

Thanks in advance.
Did they say how much it would cost to replace it? Just wondering, had one go through a spin cycle.
 

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
15,384
1,089
113
DC
#15
Coffee has oils in it from the beans and if you had cream and/or sugar in it, that'll make it worse. Drying it out might work ok for plain water, but for coffee, I don't think so.

I'm pretty sure you're going to have to get a new phone or, if you're already resigned to doing that, you could try removing the battery using one of the techniques you can find online. Once you get the battery out, try rinsing/soaking the phone in clear water (not the battery, obviously) then let it dry out thoroughly and reassemble it.
that's what i was thinking, but we'll see...
 

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
4,480
92
48
Burbank
#16
jptolife: A friend of mine dropped his iPod Touch in a pool and obviously, it was dead. He tried to change the sensor back to white with the bleach technique and after a few weeks, when he went to go take it in, the first thing they said was that they smelled bleach and they denied him a replacement.
 

scudder

Member
Bronze
Mar 4, 2008
174
0
16
Edinburgh
#17
I just looked down the barrel of the headphone socket on the 3G with an Auriscope and I don't see any water detector paper down there like I have on the 2G. there is a metal contact sticking out, but no paper? As far as I know, the only detectors are inside on the board screen covers x2 so I do not understand how a Genius could tell it was water damaged.
 
Sep 2, 2008
24
0
0
#18
just take the battery out and put it by the window and let it dry out and if you are lucky it will still work
 

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
1,421
3
38
Suwanee, GA
#19
just take the battery out and put it by the window and let it dry out and if you are lucky it will still work
Um, the battery isn't "just take-outable". It requires a bit of disassembly which isn't all that easy.
 

Tex

New Member
Silver
Jul 15, 2008
821
0
0
Philly
#20
Burying in rice worked for my iPod last year. It sat submerged in a pool of Diet Coke that was in a bag (I thought the bottle was closed...it wasn't). I left it in a bowl of rice for 10 days. At 5 days, it still didn't work. At 10, it wouldn't turn on.....I plugged it in, and suddenly it started working just fine.

If it did it with a coke spill, I do not see the problem with trying it with coffee. Downside to you is that it is your phon, which is hard to keep off for 10+ days unless you have a backup phone.