Spinning Wheel By 3G symbol

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
Yesterday I had to get my iPhone 3G replaced because the camera went bad, so now I think I have noticed something I never noticed before. When I hit the phone icon there is immediately a spinning wheel right next to the 3G icon. I don't remember ever noticing that before. Does anyone know what that is? I'm concerned it's going to drain my battery even more! Thanks!

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
The spining wheel has been there since day one. It generally kicks in when your are checking mail, on safari loading a page or running apps.

BTW, what is the "phone icon" you are refering too?

Owgasm

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Yeah, the loading symbol, a spinning symbol effect.
Its normal.
Some apps, you will see it used elsewhere (other than the top next to your 3G symbol/receiption symbol) to show its loading.

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
Well, what I mean is, when I hit the green icon that says phone, anytime I am in, favorite's, contact, keypad, recents,or voicemail, that spinning wheel is next to the signal bar. I'm not understanding why that spinning wheel is there. Does it do that on your phone? Thanks for your help!

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Well, what I mean is, when I hit the green icon that says phone, anytime I am in, favorite's, contact, keypad, recents,or voicemail, that spinning wheel is next to the signal bar. I'm not understanding why that spinning wheel is there. Does it do that on your phone? Thanks for your help!
That doesn't sound right. Is your phone jailbroke? If not I would head over to 5th Ave. and see what Apple has to say. You should only get wheel when data is being transfered.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
No, it's not jailbroken, It's a brand new iPhone 3G that I got yesterday.
Oh wow. That is a bummer. Well it certainly isn't right and as you stated will beat your battery to a pulp most likely. Hate to say it, but I believe you need to get it replaced.

Edit: Don't see what you would need to make an appointment for this. I would get it swapped out today if you can.

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
Well, I just got off the phone with Apple, the 1-800-MyiPhone number, and for some reason, although it wouldn't yesterday after doing one, after doing a hard reset today it stopped! So hopefully it stays that way! Thanks for your help!

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Well, I just got off the phone with Apple, the 1-800-MyiPhone number, and for some reason, although it wouldn't yesterday after doing one, after doing a hard reset today it stopped! So hopefully it stays that way! Thanks for your help!
Great! Keep a close eye on this though. I was going to suggest a hard reset, but I am with you on the battery drain thing and that's why I suggested taking it back. Watch the battery life over the next few days and see how it goes.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
my phone did that one day where i was just looking at it with no apps running and the wheel kept spinning. i thought i had an incoming email but nothing showed up. Hard reset fix that problem too.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
It's a computer. It will freeze up. You've got to reboot it every now and again
I reboot just about every day. Maybe that is why I don't have any of the problems I see here.:p I have never had a problem with lag. Very,very seldom get a crash.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
if it looks like a small circle or 'o' then it's the GPRS indicator. according to the iPhone manual (see attachments).

Attachments

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
if it looks like a small circle or 'o' then it's the GPRS indicator. according to the iPhone manual (see attachments).
Hmm, l have had the old school O show up a couple times "When the tower across the street has high traffic." ... Normally only lasts a second or two.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Mine was getting stuck on this every once in a while and I turn the phone off and on again and it goes away. Now that it's jailbroken I have a fading Apple instead of the spinning O, and it doesn't seem to do it so much anymore.