Splicing headphone wire

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
My iPhone wont work on my cassette car stereo thing because of the plug. So i cut a plug off some old Apple headphones and cut the plug off my cassette wire. Now i want to splice them together but the ipod headphones have 4 wires: copper, red, green, and red with a green stripe. The cassette cord has only three wires: copper blue, red.

Anyone know if this is even possible or what wires splice to which? Thanks!

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Jeez, that's a can of worms. Those wires are notoriously difficult to join via solder or any other method. You'd most likely want to join the reds together since the red is likely the common ground on the cassette adapter. Twist 'em and try it before you make things permanent.

I have to ask; why didn't you just spend a few bucks on an adapter and plug the cassette adapter into that? I bought one for $3.00.

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
to be honest I had the day off and got bored. Ill most likely just go get an adaptor. Just wandering if it was possible. Im still gonna mess around with it and try to get it working

and whered you get your adapter. i saw them at the Apple store - $10

kunfuzious

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Boulder
The adapter for my wife's car wouldn't fit either, or my auxiliary cable for my car. Using siccors I was able to remove the rubber around the jack and peel it off, allowing the headphone jack to fit properly.

Doesn't do you much good now, but just in case someone else finds themselves in a similar situation...

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
The adapter for my wife's car wouldn't fit either, or my auxiliary cable for my car. Using siccors I was able to remove the rubber around the jack and peel it off, allowing the headphone jack to fit properly.

Doesn't do you much good now, but just in case someone else finds themselves in a similar situation...
yeah i had tried that. There was a metal piece that stuck out too though.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
to be honest I had the day off and got bored. Ill most likely just go get an adaptor. Just wandering if it was possible. Im still gonna mess around with it and try to get it working

and whered you get your adapter. i saw them at the Apple store - $10
Amazon. Search for "iPhone adapter". $3.13 sale price from MyGoCity.
Mine works fine. Best Buy had some for $6.00 as well a few weeks ago.

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa

Well it definitely didn't work. So i went and bought a new tape thing and did what i should have done in the first place, Trim the plastic like you said. I always have to dive right into things like this. I like fixing and rewiring stuff too much, haha.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Gotta pick your battles. :) I'm a rewire type myself, but this is kinda like resoldering surface mount stuff with a traditional soldering iron - destined to failure. :)

Resident Plarp

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
www2.oakland.edu
Destined for failure? Nah, I did it ... with the help of a guy that soldered circuits for the Apollo program. Seriously, he works down in engineering.

What you'll need:

- an ohm meter to figure out what leads do what with regard to the headphone jack
- shrink wrap
- solder suction device
- patience, lots of it

I'd tell you what wires go where, but the diagram we put together is at home. In retrospect, I should have used the headphones off the iPod instead as there are fewer wires. As I recall, there were four different leads coming off the iPhone headphones.

I hooked this up to a set of Shure E3c's and have had no problems. Check out the photo.

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
Destined for failure? Nah, I did it ... with the help of a guy that soldered circuits for the Apollo program. Seriously, he works down in engineering.

What you'll need:

- an ohm meter to figure out what leads do what with regard to the headphone jack
- shrink wrap
- solder suction device
- patience, lots of it

I'd tell you what wires go where, but the diagram we put together is at home. In retrospect, I should have used the headphones off the iPod instead as there are fewer wires. As I recall, there were four different leads coming off the iPhone headphones.

I hooked this up to a set of Shure E3c's and have had no problems. Check out the photo.

Very nice. This is what I was shooting for. When you can I'd appreciate it if you posted the wiring diagram

zerologic

Aug 17, 2008
Very nice. This is what I was shooting for. When you can I'd appreciate it if you posted the wiring diagram
I just posted the wiring diagram on my site, I'll include the pic here... click it to read the post. We modded a Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset - worked perfectly!