Splitting account and family sharing question

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by KevTN, Sep 13, 2014.

1. KevTN

KevTN Member
    Bronze

Hello,
    Not sure if I should apologize or not but kinda a noob with Apple accounts and such..

My wife and daughter have iPhones and my daughter and I have iPads. When setting up the device I put all four devices on one account mainly so my wife and I can monitor my daughters purchases (no credit card on file just gift cards). The school she attends uses iPads for their books and school work. All backups and such are on the same computer.

With that said, I would to split each person into their own iTunes accounts so each can have their own iCloud storage. I have read with the new iOS8 has family sharing which sounds good.

In short, can I split all our accounts now in iOS7 or would it be better to wait for iOS8? Do we need to each have a separate email address? They have ordered the new iphone 6 would it better to split the accounts now or after the phones arrive?

I hope it makes sense, I appreciate any assistance...thank you

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The best way to do it is continue to have everyone use the same Apple ID for iTunes and the App Store. That way you can share purchases. Then make a separate iCloud IDs for each person so they get to use all of the storage and don't have to share bookmarks, contacts and Notes. Having two Apple IDs (one for iTunes and one for iCloud) is not a problem. I've been doing it that way for years.

3. KevTN

KevTN Member
    Bronze

Thank you...I am guessing that with the new iOS8 family sharing we will be able to locate all the devices across the different iCloud accounts...thx again