spoofing iPhone user agent

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

mactigger

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
if you fake an iPhone user agent on your desktop (i use prefbar in firefox), this site will give you access to some nice quicktime movies to download. I could never get this to work in youtube.
I would like to do the opposite. I have to login to a site that accepts logins from desktops with no problem, but makes you pay or a "mobile" device. I can understand the extra cost per month if you are using a BB, or treo or something that requires extra coding but the iPhone worked the first 3 days flawlessly. I think they realized that they can make the extra money every month even though it is a "full web browser". So... Is it possible to make the phone tell websites that it is Safari in general and not "mobile Safari"?

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I would like to do the opposite. I have to login to a site that accepts logins from desktops with no problem, but makes you pay or a "mobile" device. I can understand the extra cost per month if you are using a BB, or treo or something that requires extra coding but the iPhone worked the first 3 days flawlessly. I think they realized that they can make the extra money every month even though it is a "full web browser". So... Is it possible to make the phone tell websites that it is Safari in general and not "mobile Safari"?
if you just need to log in, then I would recommend writing a script that CURLs the log in page. google "php curl user agent".

Assuming the site only checks if you are on a mobile at log in, then this shouldn't be too inconvenient.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I've been using DailyMotion for a while (they are French and so am I so I've known this site forever). Anyways, thats not my point.
You don't need to fake anything.
Just go to dailymotion US and view any video that you want. It's like YouTube but much better since youtube allows you to watch only a few videos on your iPhone (you can't view all youtube videos on your iPhone).
You can view anything you want on dailymotion from your iPhone

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I've been using DailyMotion for a while (they are French and so am I so I've known this site forever). Anyways, thats not my point.
You don't need to fake anything.
Just go to dailymotion US and view any video that you want. It's like YouTube but much better since youtube allows you to watch only a few videos on your iPhone (you can't view all youtube videos on your iPhone).
You can view anything you want on dailymotion from your iPhone
right...I was just saying that if you want to download the movies as .mov files to your desktop computer, you just have to spoof the iPhone user agent.

if you go there from your desktop computer, it will load up the flash version of the movies, but for the iPhone it delivers .mov files.