SportsTap push

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but my SportsTap app now has push for MLB games. It updates when the teams you like games start, end and all scores.

It said it will add push for all other sports as their new seasons start. Pretty cool. Interesting that they were able to do this and ESPN "can't" even though it was shown in WWDC...hmm...

Toranz82

Bronze
Jun 7, 2007
Florida
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but my SportsTap app now has push for MLB games. It updates when the teams you like games start, end and all scores.

It said it will add push for all other sports as their new seasons start. Pretty cool. Interesting that they were able to do this and ESPN "can't" even though it was shown in WWDC...hmm...
Hey yes I checked out SportsTab thats pretty cool, but it's too bad I can't receive breaking news from other leagues like NBA and NFL. Thats probably why I'll still want ESPN Alerts or if they decide to integrate ESPN Alerts with ESPN Scorecenter I hope they also include Breaking News into the Notifications that you can receive.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
Me too...but I think ESPN is going to F us over.

Toranz82

Bronze
Jun 7, 2007
Florida
yes I don't think they'll charge though. At least i hope so

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hey yes I checked out SportsTab thats pretty cool, but it's too bad I can't receive breaking news from other leagues like NBA and NFL. Thats probably why I'll still want ESPN Alerts or if they decide to integrate ESPN Alerts with ESPN Scorecenter I hope they also include Breaking News into the Notifications that you can receive.
I'm sure when the NFL season starts, SportsTap will add that into push. Probably be limited to games though. Too bad you can't have a push notification for a player. Imagine a Fantasy Football app with push! :D

AntonChigurh

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
This is cool, but I've found push apps to dramatically drain my battery life. I thought I'd give this one a try to see if it drains the battery as much as the other ones I tried and it does. Hopefully Apple can fix this with 3.1.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Sportstap is great for when I have a session during a game. Pushes just enough that it's not annoying (unless it's the 22 runs the Phils scored the other night, but that was fun!)

It doesn't always push that quickly, but fast enough for baseball. I'm definitely not complaining for a free app!

Toranz82

Bronze
Jun 7, 2007
Florida
Sportstap is great for when I have a session during a game. Pushes just enough that it's not annoying (unless it's the 22 runs the Phils scored the other night, but that was fun!)

It doesn't always push that quickly, but fast enough for baseball. I'm definitely not complaining for a free app!
yes its great. I just wish there was something for breaking news like with NBA's free agency (or any sport).

Example:

*Ding*
Orlando Magic send Rafer Alston, Tony Battie, and Courtney Lee to the Nets in exchange for Vince Carter and Ryan Anderson!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
That sort of alert would require a human to create it. Lots of humans. I think Sportstap does it fine with simple score updates. I'm sure they will add more support for other leagues as it becomes more popular.

Although, honestly, score updates for basketball would be prohibitively annoying.

Toranz82

Bronze
Jun 7, 2007
Florida
That sort of alert would require a human to create it. Lots of humans. I think Sportstap does it fine with simple score updates. I'm sure they will add more support for other leagues as it becomes more popular.

Although, honestly, score updates for basketball would be prohibitively annoying.
Thats true, thats why I'm mainly expecting a breaking news app from ESPN. And yes score updates for basketball would be annoying. It'd have to be limited to like every quarter or so.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
I want breaking news from ESPN and I want basketball quarter scores and football every score.

But, what I want is to be able to customize only what teams I get updates for in those sports...which you can do with SportsTap. And for football, it should tell you who scores and how.