Spotlight search not searching contacts

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by cooter32, Sep 17, 2015.

1. cooter32

cooter32 New Member

So my first issue with iOS9 is that now when I do a spotlite search it doesn't include contacts. What's up?

2. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I don't have iOS 9 yet, but look in the Settings app under General>Spotlight Search and make sure Contacts is checked/turned on. The specific location for Spotlight Search may have changed in the Settings app, but it will be in there somewhere.

3. cooter32

cooter32 New Member

First thing I did and still doesn't work. Tried hard and soft reset. My wife's update went fine and she has no such issue.

4. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I'm afraid the only other thing I can think of is to backup your device to your computer using iTunes, restore in iTunes, and then apply your backup.

Did you update to iOS 9 over the air or using iTunes?

5. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

iOS 9 might have some other settings to mess with to solve the issue. Have you tried comparing the settings on your wife's phone to see if they are the same?

6. cooter32

cooter32 New Member

Ended up having to total restore and reload and that fixed it. Now my Yahoo mail is broken:(

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

What's wrong with Yahoo? Did you try deleting the account from the phone and adding it back in?

8. cooter32

cooter32 New Member

Yep. I have two yahoo accounts, My personal and the business. The business is the secondary email account under my personal one. When trying to reload it the messages indicate that it already exists when, in fact, it doesn't because I deleted it to try to do a reload.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Try deleting every email account on your phone and then add them back in starting with this one you're having trouble with first.

10. cooter32

cooter32 New Member

FYI - Spotlight still buggy. Sometimes shows contacts that I know exist and sometimes doesn't

11. Dennisyearby

Dennisyearby New Member

Try this following steps:-
    1. Turn off all the Spotlight switches in Preferences > General > Spotlight.
    2. Do a hard reset by pressing and holding the Home button (big circle below the screen) and the Sleep/Wake button (on top of the iPhone) simultaneously.
    3. Hold both buttons until the screen goes black, and then release when you see the Apple logo.
    4. After restart, turn on the Contacts switch in Preferences > General > Spotlight.
    5. It may take a few minutes, or half an hour for Contacts to show in Spotlight search.
    6. Turn on other Spotlight switches after Contacts begin to show in Spotlight searches.