Spotlight search What the Heck?

Rhinohd

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
So i put my name in Spotlight Search and I get results of emails from months ago? Whats up with that? I deleted these but they are still on my phone? How do I get rid of these? I have a 1st gen iPhone...

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
Are those particular emails in your 'Deleted' folder?

Rhinohd

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Nope. I have it set to delete after one day. 1st thing I checked...

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
What mail 'system' (.me, gmail, exchange, etc)? IMAP or POP? Deleted on iPhone side or client side?

Rhinohd

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
I have 4 pop accounts. Deleted on the iPhone side... I can view them in search but then i go back in the regular way and nothing. Search again they are there again. Doing a full restore now. I will see what happens...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i believe spotlight searches emails on the server as well as your phone. if you are using POP, then those emails are likely still on the server even though you deleted them on your phone.

Rhinohd

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
they are not on the server I just checked that too. Really weird...

toothdoc

Jan 27, 2009
My search does the same thing but has done that for the past couple of betas. I thought it was odd but what the heck.

Jul 14, 2008
I have the opposite problem - Spotlight Search does not search either my Exchange server nor my yahoo emai. It will search what's on the iPhone, it will offer (for yahoo) to search the server, but always returns no results. Any ideas?

Rhinohd

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
I did a restore and its fixed. It also cleared out 1 gig of "OTHER" on my iPhone LMAO

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I have the opposite problem - Spotlight Search does not search either my Exchange server nor my yahoo emai. It will search what's on the iPhone, it will offer (for yahoo) to search the server, but always returns no results. Any ideas?
I don't think Spotlight searches your email server in order to stay relatively speedy. To do that in-depth search, you have to do it from the mail app.

Jul 14, 2008
I don't think Spotlight searches your email server in order to stay relatively speedy. To do that in-depth search, you have to do it from the mail app.
Dave, I tried that too, that's where it gives me the option to search email on server and appears to do so, but returns no results (even though I know that there are results to be returned).

Does this feature (which is highlighted in several reviews of OS 3.0) work for anyone else?

Should I do a restore and reinstall and see if that fixes it (I also lost some contact data for an app, Groups - Drag & Drop Contacts Group Management during the upgrade to OS 3.0)?

Jul 14, 2008
Try resetting your network settings first.
No joy Dave, I think I will try a restore later, but could you tell me how to force iTunes to re-download the 3.0 update (i've searched here and all over the web for a couple of hours to no avail). My download of 3.0 last night took nearly an hour, and the update almost 45 minutes so I fear something got gummed up. Appreciate any help...