springboard crashed last night...

ItsMeArjay

Bronze
Jul 23, 2009
Clearwater, FL
www.twitter.com
my 3gs is unlocked, last night I downloaded an app in cydia called "HOOD" and it had to restart my springboard. so i click restart springboard and it froze. the loading wheel came up and thats all that happened. anyways, I did this at 1:23 AM and it is now 7:00 AM. I can't turn off the phone to restart it. Is there a way to manually restart it? Or do I have to let the battery run down? any help is greatly appreciated.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
my 3gs is unlocked, last night I downloaded an app in cydia called "HOOD" and it had to restart my springboard. so i click restart springboard and it froze. the loading wheel came up and thats all that happened. anyways, I did this at 1:23 AM and it is now 7:00 AM. I can't turn off the phone to restart it. Is there a way to manually restart it? Or do I have to let the battery run down? any help is greatly appreciated.
Try holding down the power button and home button for around 15 seconds. This will reset the phone. (If you have already tried this I apologise)

If this works, your phone will either turn on properly or will ask you to plug into iTunes for a restore. If thats the case you will have to plug in and restore and then unlock.

ItsMeArjay

Bronze
Jul 23, 2009
Clearwater, FL
www.twitter.com
I haven't tried that yet lol. Is it gonna do a cold reboot of my phone? I'm at work right now, and don't have access to my iTunes, I want to be able to use my phone while at work =)

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
That happens sometimes. After you do the soft reset the phone will be fine.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
According to your 1st post, your phone isn't currently working - or am i mistaken?

It could tgo 50/50... well technically 33.3/33.3/33.3 ;)

1)You could reboot using the method i mentioned above and your phone will turn on correctly. This usually happens when you reset the phone.
2)you could do the reset and your iPhone may ask you to plug into iTunes. After plugging in, it may turn on fine.
3)you could do the reset and your phone may ask you to plug into iTunes for a restore.

You really wont be able to tell until you do it. If you have a working phone, the likelyhood is that when you reset it will turn on fine.

Also, the method i mentioned above means you will NOT loose any data or anything, it just resets the phone.

ItsMeArjay

Bronze
Jul 23, 2009
Clearwater, FL
www.twitter.com
just got it to restart. thanks guys =) although I was going to let the battery die since i didn't know how to do the soft reset. after I restarted it, the battery life was still at 41% so I'd still be sitting here waiting for it to die lol. Its nice to know that even though my phone is frozen, it will log missed calls and text messages still. technology, what would we do without it?

ZaniX

Jul 28, 2009
i have iPhone 3Gs 16 GB i jailbroke it and i was playing with packages last night and now its not turning on its keep turning on n off and my device is password protected please help

ZaniX

Jul 28, 2009
i tried reset it, its not working 1 time i had luck and i'm able to unlock it with my keypad but and after that i uninstalled that package called Push Me or something and since then no luck :(.. its keep reseting again n again in 1 sec

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
ZaniX, that's a recurrent crash loop. You'll need to restore it. Put it in DFU mode and restore it to factory settings in iTunes.