Springboard crashes.. A lot.

blewis1984

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
Everytime Cydia tells me I have an upgrade and I download it, I get the "Sad iPhone" screen. Hell, even just a few minutes ago it crashed when I loaded the App Store. Is it normal for it to crash this much after jailbreaking?

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
What firmware are you using? My cydia was crashing a lot but I haven't updated it in a while. What I did was open cydia let it finish loading everything and then select the changes section. Hit refresh and let it download a package or two and then hit cancel. Repeat a few times and then just hit refresh and let it do it all by itself. It was kinda of like a safari crashes when there is too much loading going on.

Everytime Cydia tells me I have an upgrade and I download it, I get the "Sad iPhone" screen. Hell, even just a few minutes ago it crashed when I loaded the App Store. Is it normal for it to crash this much after jailbreaking?
Are you on the latest firmware? My iPhone 2g is jailbroken, though I'm still on firmware 2.1, my cydia is always kept up to date and never seen my springboard crash. Have you tried doing a restore?

blewis1984

Bronze
Jul 1, 2008
Okay, it crashes even when updating apps from the App Store now also..

smittylube

Bronze
Feb 19, 2008
Silicon Valley
I just had a similar problem- I was getting the 'this device is not made for the iPhone' message. I tried respring, hard restart etc. got the sad iPhone screen when starting up as well as the springboard has crashed message. I reinstalled winterboard and it stopped giving me the message later in the day. I hope it does not mean other problems are on the way.

Neo-Tech

Bronze
Oct 24, 2008
I sort of have a similar problem as well, except it's for when installing apps. If I install a certain amount of apps in one go, it'll respring after installing a couple and it'll keep doing it until it's finished syncing. This is annoying, especially after I restore. Because if I install 60 apps in one go, it restarts at some point because of the constant respringing. Any ideas?

smittylube

Bronze
Feb 19, 2008
Silicon Valley
Im sorry but why would you have 60 apps in addition to the stock apps?
Games possibly?
TO me it seems pointless, but if they do things you need or want than more power to you.

I think the more stuff you pack into the phone the more problems you encounter.
I personally try my best to keep it lean.

Neo-Tech

Bronze
Oct 24, 2008
Well, yeah it's stuff which I need and use.

smittylube

Bronze
Feb 19, 2008
Silicon Valley
Mine was winked for an hour or so last weekend and did not reoccur after reinstalling winterboard. You might give that a try.
I did not uninstall just reinstall.

smittylube

Bronze
Feb 19, 2008
Silicon Valley
in cydia select manage on the bottom, then find winterboard and choose modify then reinstall. You don't loose any themes or anything.
It is worth a try.

thepunisher1991

Bronze
Jul 30, 2007

the samething was happening to my iPhone...... and the only thing that fixed it was to restore and rejailbreak.

im not really sure but i think something i installed from cydia made it start crashing often..... but im not really sure what it was because im always installing new things :)

k3vin187

Sep 15, 2009
A couple of things to try. You may have an application that isn't compatible with the firmware. For me it was stacks. Remove the app and that stops the crashing. Also if you have sbsettings or bossprefs installed, you can go to fix user dir permissions and that may fix it.