Sprint iPhone 5

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Wall Street Journal reports that a Sprint iPhone 5 is coming this October.

Things are going to be crazy in October.

Last edited:

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
If it's true I might be switching, AT&T is starting to be too darn expensive and sprint has a very good coverage area here where I live.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
That's if Sprint keeps the current pricing. Sprint is not very good in my house, but great in my area.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
That's if Sprint keeps the current pricing. Sprint is not very good in my house, but great in my area.
With the current prices yes, even if they increase the data plan to $30, and hopefully unlimited, it's still way cheaper than AT&T. I have 450 minutes and 200 text messages ( I use Textnow for texting ) and the unlimited data plan, I pay $86 a month. I can pay 90 with sprint and have everything unlimited. That's, once again, if data prices increase.
The only concern I might have is data speed.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
With the current prices yes, even if they increase the data plan to $30, and hopefully unlimited, it's still way cheaper than AT&T. I have 450 minutes and 200 text messages ( I use Textnow for texting ) and the unlimited data plan, I pay $86 a month. I can pay 90 with sprint and have everything unlimited. That's, once again, if data prices increase.
The only concern I might have is data speed.
Sprint gets everyone to pay a $10 premium data up charge if they have a 4G phone, regardless of whether they have 4G service in their area. My bet is that they have some sort of iPhone plan. While more expensive, and in line with other carriers, it might be true unlimited.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
This is good news. I'd like to see all the carriers with iPhones. Hopefully it will relieve some of the traffic on ATT. Plus the competition for call plans will be good too. I hope this happens.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Think it will be good for other carriers to have the iPhone. Will help sales. Lots of people don't get one now because they don't want to switch carriers and all that hassle.
As for what carrier is better or what not I think it is a personal preference weighing cost, speed, coverage, and experience.
I personally will never go back to Verizon. They are dead to me. Love my AT&T.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Just told my girlfriend and she was jumping for joy. She didn't get the "might" part.

Kuntry

Bronze
Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
Sprint gets everyone to pay a $10 premium data up charge if they have a 4G phone, regardless of whether they have 4G service in their area. My bet is that they have some sort of iPhone plan. While more expensive, and in line with other carriers, it might be true unlimited.
Just an FYI the premium data charge is for any smartphone, not just 4G capable. I work for sprint businesss care. It was always perceived as a "4G charge" because the first two devices it was applied to were the first 4G capable devices sprint carried. Several months ago we changed it to make it applicable to any smartphone 4G capable or not. Currently all of our data plans for smartphones are truly unlimited even with the mobile hotspot. We only limit 3G (power vision) on data cards and standalone hotspots. 4G is still unlimited even on those devices. Think of the premium data add on as the way sprint can afford to keep its data truly unlimited.

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
Sprint needs the iPhone 5....if not, I see their demise in a few years.

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
I'm torn if this does happen. I can't stand the service I get with AT&T, I've complained numerous times over the last few years and it's not getting any better. On the other hand, I like how I can upgrade my iPhone every year. I know my friend has Sprint and he has to wait 2 years to upgrade

The monthly price issue isn't really any different for me with either company. Sprint's "unlimited" plan is only for cell phone to cell phone. I make a lot of calls to land lines and the 450 land line minutes are not enough on the unlimited plan

ed2438

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 9, 2010
El Paso, TX
has the iPhone become the new razr amongst all the cellphone providers?

Arcangel2176

Silver
Jul 24, 2007
Both of these above statements are idiotic and the second one distasteful at best

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Both of these above statements are idiotic and the second one distasteful at best
You're taking it too seriously then. John Lennon probably would have laughed.

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
Id hope Sprint gets the iPhone too, if they keep the truly unlimited this would spark some competition which has it's benefits. I'm sticking w/my AT&T but I'm all for a healthy market of competition.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
This was all over my local news last night. Not just on one network either. It was announced on all of them.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
This is THE reason to pre-order as soon as it becomes available on line.

A week ago Hubby told me we would not be getting the iPhone 5 as soon as it is released we may have to wait until the end or middle of October and then go to the 5th Ave store to pick it up. I said okay. (Umm Hummm - you now, you just smile and agree cause I know this is a stupid move and it just ain't gonna happen that way, plus I don't want to argue.)

Yesterday, when news hit about Sprint getting the iPhone, I told him and mentioned that waiting would be a bad move and going to the 5th Ave store, let alone any store to wait on line to get the phone would be sheer stupidity at best. He then agreed that we would just pre-order. All his idea of course. Of course.

LOL! Hubby's, gotta love em.