Sprint iPhone 5C unlocked for international use?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5C' started by FFAP1234, Mar 22, 2015.

1. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I'm not familiar with Sprit iPhone, I was wondering if somebody can advise me.

Is is possible to have an Sprint iPhone 5C unlock to use with other SIM card in another country? I may be buying an used one and the owner tells me it is unlocked? Thank you all.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Ask the seller if Sprint unlocked it for him.

The Verizon 5/5c/5s/6 are sold factory unlocked. Sprint's, however, are sold locked. They will work internationally, but you are roaming and using the SIM card that came with the phone and have to pay Sprint for the charges when you return home. International SIM cards won't work unless the phone is unlocked by Sprint. You can request this 90 days after purchase if the account is in good standing, but they don't approve all requests. It's kind of hit and miss. The OP may have gotten Sprint to unlock it. Even if it is unlocked, it won't work with AT&T or T-Mobile SIMs. The unlock only allows it to work with international SIMs.

3. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

That is a lot of very good information Europa. Luckily my iPhone 6 with AT&T is unlocked for me to be used when I got to South America in April.

My brother asked me to bring him an iPhone for him to be used in my country. Maybe I will just avoid to deal with a Sprint iphone since it is hard to trust somebody from craigslist.

Then my question is; am I going to be saved by buying a Verizon iPhone and for sure will work in my country as long as it is an iPhone 5/5C/5S/6?, I always deal with AT&T only and I don't want to get a bad surprise when I get there. Thank you very much!

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, I recommed getting a Verizon phone instead of a Sprint phone in your case. They are all factory unlocked, so you won't even need to ask the seller about it. An AT&T phone would be fine as well, but you would need to verify the unlock before buying it.

5. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

That is what I'm going to do! Thank you again.