Sprint or Verizon with GSM slot

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by Geo, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Geo

Geo Member
    Bronze

Hi Everyone, I was doing so thinking about my next iPhone and was thinking about a Sprint/Verizon iPhone 4S or next upgrade to 5. I like the idea of the GSM slot and being able to use it overseas easily (and maybe in country with the ATT GSM chip). So, I am asking for some help from this forum community. I could switch my US number to Sprint for when I am in country and use the GSM chip for out of country usage. If you have such an iPhone, how has it been working for you? Has it worked well for you? Problems? Does the GSM help you out in or out of the country? Does data get affected at all if you are on the GSM chip? Any and all info is helpful.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The Sprint and Verizon iPhone comes with a SIM card that will allow you to use international GSM carriers and then pay Sprint or Verizon for roaming charges when you return home. You can get them to unlock the phone for you so you can use prepaid SIM cards from international carriers instead of roaming. This will save you quite a bit of money. However, they generally require that you're a customer in good standing for at least 90 days before they will unlock and I don't know if they will do this for every customer that requests it. After they unlock it it will work with international SIM cards, but it will NOT work with AT&T and T-Mobile SIMs in the US. I am not aware of any way of getting a Sprint or Verizon iPhone working on with AT&T or T-Mobile, but it doesn't sound like you really need that anyway.