Sprint to introduce touch-screen to rival iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jun 26, 2007
Sprint to Introduce Touch-Screen Phone

By PETER SVENSSON, AP Technology Writer
8 HOURS AGO
NEW YORK - It's official: touch screens are the big new thing in cell phones this holiday season.
Sprint Nextel Corp. announced Wednesday it is jumping on the bandwagon with the Touch by HTC. Like Apple Inc.'s iPhone, this smart phone has only a few buttons and is designed to be controlled by touching the screen.
The Touch will go on sale Nov. 4 for $250 with a two-year contract.
The announcement makes Sprint the third of the three largest U.S. wireless carriers to introduce a cell phone with a large touch screen designed to be controlled with fingers rather than a stylus. The iPhone, which launched this summer, is exclusive to AT&T Inc. Verizon Wireless said two weeks ago that it would introduce the LG Voyager in time for Thanksgiving.
The Voyager has a large touch screen, but differs from the iPhone in that it folds out to reveal a hardware keyboard. The HTC Touch lacks a keyboard, but it still has a stylus. A version has been on sale in Europe since this summer.
The Touch runs Microsoft Corp.'s Windows Mobile 6 software, which exists in two versions: one that's controlled by a stylus, and another that's controlled by a keypad on a non-touch screen phone. HTC Corp., a Taiwanese company, has modified the stylus-oriented version of the software to make it more usable with fingers alone.
Beyond the touch-screen interface, the Touch's similarities with the iPhone are not overwhelming. It doesn't have a large amount of built-in flash memory for music and movies, relying instead on expansion cards. It's smaller and lighter, with a screen measuring 2.8 inches diagonally compared with the iPhone's 3.5 inches.
The Touch uses Sprint's relatively fast data network, rather than the iPhone's combination of a relatively slow AT&T network supplemented by Wi-Fi. The European Touch's Wi-Fi capability did not make it into Sprint's version.
The name could cause some confusion among shoppers: Apple just introduced the iPod Touch, which is basically an iPhone without cell phone capabilities.
HTC isn't well known in the U.S. but has actually been making smart phones and personal digital assistants for U.S. companies under their brands for many years. It only started putting its own name on its products this year.

www.sprint.com/touch

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
without reading anything, and only seeing the picture..

WOW.

sprint phones<everyone else's phones

i remember when Sprint used to have some of the best phones... /sigh

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
This phone is so disturbingly disappointing it's hard to believe. The UI is awful and it feels extremely cheap. Not a fan at all. Also, Sprint sucks, at least here in Florida.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I got a chance to preview this at Digital Life. The device itself is nice -- form factor is small and good feel to it. As far as the UI, I agree with the previous poster. The software was still in beta according the gentlemen who gave me the demo and it sure did act like a beta.:eek:

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Right now everyone is racing to get a touch screen phone to market before Christmas. There's no real time for R&D or design... they just have to get SOMETHING out there before people start spending money like crazy.

It will take another 6 months or more before someone brings a serious competitor to the market for the iPhone... by which time we'll have iPhone V2.

Apple totally got the jump on the market.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
The HTC Touch has been out in Europe for ages. It's old technology now. They have the Quad Core, 16GB RAM, 1TB version out there now ;)

Since then, they have released the HTC Touch Dual. So Sprint is actually quite behind the times.

Are you sure it's 3G? The GSM version is only EDGE/GPRS.

http://www.htctouch.com/

tonyj81

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
VA Beach
This phone is nothing more than a horrible iPhone clone. It doesn't even really pull that off very well either. The only real factor everyone is focusing on now is the touch screen part. I've put in posts before I think the iPhone is the most advanced just need the software to compliment it is all....

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com

I will certainly let everyone know how it stands up to the iPhone. I always get the hot new releases from Sprint on day 1. I can't wait to get the HTC Touch in my hand, Hot, Hot, Hot! The Sprint businesss rep I deal with knows, I will have a tantrum if I do not get the hot devices on day 1, she always accommodates me :laugh2:. I can't wait, I feel like a kid at Christmas. I am tired of flicking the screen on my HTC Mogul, and nothing happens (must remember to scroll when not using my iPhone)...M

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
The HTC Touch has been out in Europe for ages. It's old technology now. They have the Quad Core, 16GB RAM, 1TB version out there now ;)

Since then, they have released the HTC Touch Dual. So Sprint is actually quite behind the times.

Are you sure it's 3G? The GSM version is only EDGE/GPRS.

http://www.htctouch.com/
yes both CDMA versions are 3g-the HTC Touch for Sprint is 3G (EVDO) as is the VZW version which will be announced later as the HTC Vogue.

anyone ever wonder why Verizon is the last to release their phones? VZW has long been my favorite but I admit I jumped ship due to their poor phone choices. When they finally did get a new phone it was already being replaced by something bigger and better with the other carriers like Cingular/ATT.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Right now everyone is racing to get a touch screen phone to market before Christmas. There's no real time for R&D or design... they just have to get SOMETHING out there before people start spending money like crazy.

It will take another 6 months or more before someone brings a serious competitor to the market for the iPhone... by which time we'll have iPhone V2.

Apple totally got the jump on the market.
eh..I guess I finally got the Apple kool-aid out of my system. don't get me wrong..I love the touch screen and in that aspect there is nothing that even compares to the iPhone. But honestly that's the only thing I see that separates the iPhone from the other phones. My Tilt doesn't have quite as good a touch screen as the iPhone, but I sure am loving having all the features that I gave up for the iPhone. And I was definitely skeptical about a return to WinMo after dealing with a couple of Moto Q's, but WinMo 6 is quite an upgrade to 5.

Kipper

Bronze
Sprint does sux especially in my area. I had Sprint service icons ago, lol. U know it's bad when u can't even get service in your own house! A while back I had the MDA and hated the touch screen. I promised myself not to ever get another phone that had a touch screen. Boy, did that change, lol. I guess it's just the way the iPhone works for me that makes me enjoy it so much. The Touch runs on windows? ARGH! No thanxs again Microsoft.

Jun 26, 2007
Ye sprint sucks and i think this phone is ugly
also, i agree with tharmsen... Apple BLINDSIDED the phone industry and now everyone is going touch screen