sprint using SIM cards now.

romeizul

Feb 18, 2008
hm i wonder if sprints new hybrid phone which uses sim card will work in the iPhone.. Maybe sumone will try this out hmm just pondering the idea.. I hope it works since sprint has the best service plans around town..

Doby45

Silver
Aug 21, 2007
Powder Springs, GA
I doubt it. Sprint uses CDMA which is not compatible with a GSM phone (iPhone is GSM) So unless Sprints new hybrid phone does GSM that would be, no it will not work in the iPhone.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
hm i wonder if sprints new hybrid phone which uses sim card will work in the iPhone.. Maybe sumone will try this out hmm just pondering the idea.. I hope it works since sprint has the best service plans around town..
how much would a monthly bill for sprint be for let's say around 700 mins and unlimited text and Internet

iAttorney

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Houston, TX
Sprint's new hybrid phone does use SIM cards, along with the CDMA network. The SIM slot is unlocked, and designed to be used while abroad. Pop in a pay as you go card while in Germany (or wherever) and you still have a working Sprint phone. It does not come boxed with a SIM card when bought in the US. It will have to be operated on Sprint's CDMA network in the states, so OP's hope for iPhone on Sprint is a no-go.

Giz has the story here:

http://gizmodo.com/357639/Samsung-ace-official-on-sprint-mega-world-phone-does-gsm-and-cdma

From reading this, I suppose you could use whatever SIM card you wanted, even if that means another US carrier. I for one have no need to pay for two domestic contracts, but maybe for some....

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
no such luck

The Sim slot in Sprint phones like the new CrackBerry Worldphone has a sim card spot for european GSM frequescies ONLY. So you can't buy the phone and put a US sim in it because the frequencies are different. iATTORNEY is also correct in that no sim comes with the phone. Furthermore, Sprint's network is not GSM, as already indicated so the iPhone would need CDMA/EVDO capability to run on Sprint.

I love Sprint's EVDO, and their coverage is great here, but alas, it will not work for the iPhone.

How awesome would it be for Apple to make an iPhone with quad band GSM, Tri-band HSxPA, Edge, WiFi, and EVDO? I'd pay $1000 for that phone. Throw in WiMax and T-Mobile's new frequency for 3G and I would pay $1500.

dsletto

Jun 13, 2008
I have the Sprint Blackberry 8830, and it did come with a SIM card installed. I figure that it could be used as long as the phone is always roaming on a GSM network. When I first got Sprint, the service was terrible, so my phone was always set to roam, and Sprint did'nt do anything about it. I am going to try to put the SIM in an unlocked iPhone and see if it works. Has anyone else tried this yet?