Spyber.com: Free Navizon site that actually WORKS (WiFi)

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Like a lot of other people out there, I was really excited to learn about Navizon for the iPhone, the idea sounded "neat" to say the least. Well, like most of you have discovered, it doesn't work very well, if at all, and to add insult to injury Navizon is trialware and is free to use for 15 days, at which point you're asked to pay to continue using.

Personally, I was a little mad that this wasn't clarified on the About section of Installer for Navizon, but that is neither here nor there, the real point of this post is to share a link to a free website I've found that essentially does something similar.

HostIP lookup is not a new technology, most local search engines do this already to provide you with local advertisers. The problem is that most of these sites send the iPhone to a mobile version of their search tools, which require a search location to geolocate you. Enter http://www.spyber.com a free HostIP lookup service that will find your IPs location and place it on an inline Google map.

Now there are some caveats ofcourse, first off EDGE will give you very odd approximations as to your location. It lists me in Los Angeles which is correct if I were telling someone out of town where I live, but I in fact live in Canoga Park, a suburb of Los Angeles about 14 miles away. No biggie, it worked, and thats better than Navizon has done for me.

However, if you're on Wifi the geolocation becomes even more accurate, right down to a few city blocks of me. So, if you're ever in the situation where you don't know what city you're in and have a wifi connection hit up Spyber, otherwise on EDGE you'll get an idea of the Metropolitan city you're in.
*I'm not worried about posting that EDGE IP :p it's like dialup, renewed with every connection.

Last edited by a moderator:

DMcGrew

Bronze
May 30, 2007
I'm on wifi and it put me about 10 miles from my real location... this stuff will never be accurate enough to be something like GPS.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
No one is saying it is, we're simply interested in Geolocating our IP and getting an approximation of our location, i.e. the City name.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
It's off by about 1.5 miles for me. Here's another interesting thing you might want to know, which makes this page all that more useful.
At the bottom of the page, right above the disclaimer, there is a spyware/adaware checker. Not that it's a huge concern for iPhone users right now, but it could be in the near future. This way you can at least check to make sure you're basically clean.

kgil79

Aug 16, 2007
Like a lot of other people out there, I was really excited to learn about Navizon for the iPhone, the idea sounded "neat" to say the least. Well, like most of you have discovered, it doesn't work very well, if at all, and to add insult to injury Navizon is trialware and is free to use for 15 days, at which point you're asked to pay to continue using.

Personally, I was a little mad that this wasn't clarified on the About section of Installer for Navizon, but that is neither here nor there, the real point of this post is to share a link to a free website I've found that essentially does something similar.

HostIP lookup is not a new technology, most local search engines do this already to provide you with local advertisers. The problem is that most of these sites send the iPhone to a mobile version of their search tools, which require a search location to geolocate you. Enter http://www.spyber.com a free HostIP lookup service that will find your IPs location and place it on an inline Google map.

Now there are some caveats ofcourse, first off EDGE will give you very odd approximations as to your location. It lists me in Los Angeles which is correct if I were telling someone out of town where I live, but I in fact live in Canoga Park, a suburb of Los Angeles about 14 miles away. No biggie, it worked, and thats better than Navizon has done for me.

However, if you're on Wifi the geolocation becomes even more accurate, right down to a few city blocks of me. So, if you're ever in the situation where you don't know what city you're in and have a wifi connection hit up Spyber, otherwise on EDGE you'll get an idea of the Metropolitan city you're in.

*I'm not worried about posting that EDGE IP :p it's like dialup, renewed with every connection.
This is great if I am ever kidnapped to another state and my kidnappers let me keep my iPhone. That way i could give the cops a small 30 mile radius where to find me

Last edited by a moderator: